Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:04 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Goretex or some other fabric?  We are having a milder than normal fall here in eastern Ontario. There have been days with intermittent rain or showers.  In the hot summer months with humidity and it rains, what works for you (besides umbrella) for breathability? 

by Ed Cordes on Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:22 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
My wife and I use Gortex original jacket and Marmot rain pants. Seem to work well, but while I remain dry, sitting in very damp/wet seats is still cold and feel wet when I am not.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by OntPhoto on Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I used to buy low cost Marmot jackets with MemBrain.  The one I bought was reviewed as very breathable.  I took it out on a hot summer day in the rain.  It heated up. Fortunately it had the armpit zips. But still felt it warming up with jacket on.

I was ignorant on Gortex products because there were so many different types and expensive.  It still is confusing because there are other competing breathable products.  You can get 2 layer or three layer.  I was told that 3 layer Goretex jackaets breathe beter than 2 layer jackets.  I'll do some research and figure taht one out.  My first Marmot fell part from the inside, pieces coming loose, etc.  Had to get rid of it. My second Marmot is starting to  do the same now.

Thankfully, waiting all these years means more reviews online including YouTube.  And Goretex producs have matured.  I wanted something light.  Picked up an Arc'Teryx Beta Hybrid SL (SL stands for Super Light). Took it out in the rain and I love it so far.  It feels very comfortable and is roomy.  I can wear a t-shirt underneath or a hoodie.  Drawstring hem makes fit adjustable.  It pays to buy quality along the lines of Gitzo and Canada Goose.  They cost a bit more but they are products I have never regretted buying and products that have paid for themselves.  Gitzo is still solid after 10 years of use and Canada Goose have made my winter outtings really comfortable.  Now I can play in the rain too :-)

by OntPhoto on Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:35 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:My wife and I use Gortex original jacket and Marmot rain pants.  Seem to work well, but while I remain dry, sitting in very damp/wet seats is still cold and feel wet when I am not.
I'm looking for a pair of rain pants and like the Marmot Minimalist.  It has a clean look to it.  I read that the 2020 model now has a draw cord at the waist to help cinch it up.  May buy it.  I read the review on outdoorgearlab.

by SLLNSN on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:12 pm
SLLNSN
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Ed Cordes wrote:My wife and I use Gortex original jacket and Marmot rain pants.  Seem to work well, but while I remain dry, sitting in very damp/wet seats is still cold and feel wet when I am not.
I'm looking for a pair of rain pants and like the Marmot Minimalist.  It has a clean look to it.  I read that the 2020 model now has a draw cord at the waist to help cinch it up.  May buy it.  I read the review on outdoorgearlab.

Consider clothing made by Wiggy’s (wiggys.com). By the way, I have no business relationship with Wiggy’s.

by OntPhoto on Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:29 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
SLLNSN wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:

Consider clothing made by Wiggy’s (wiggys.com). By the way, I have no business relationship with Wiggy’s.
I have never heard about this company before.  

BTW, the 2020 model of the Marmot Minimalist pants do have a draw cord at the waist/hem.  I see a number of Marmot Minimalist rain pants in reatil stores locally that do not have the draw cord so it is last year's model.  If you plan to pay $230 CAD might as well get the best fitting.  The fit guide on the Marmot site is spot on. It recommended the Large.  Just to rule out Medium. i tried one in the store and it is way too tight, can't even pull it up.  So, that is a very practical and useful fit guide on the Marmot site.

Good thing I checked this site:  

Outdoor Gear Lab review of the Minimalist and 2020 model with draw cord

by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:54 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
BTW, no regrets buying the Arc'teryx Zeta SL.  I use it regularly in rain showers or as an outer layer when it's cold.  The weather is cool now, so no issues with heat build up retention because of not having armpit zips on the jacket.  It is very roomy to put over a hoody or two. 

This week has seen rain and drizzle with maybe some wet flurries.  It will be a fickle winter according to a well-respected senior climatologist.

Winter weather in Ottawa will be a little fickle

7 posts |