Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Aaron Jors on Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:13 pm
Aaron Jors
Forum Contributor
I've been using longer lenses more frequently for a subject I frequently shoot.  It is a building/landscape scene. I am almost always bracketing at least 3 shots sometimes 5 and have notice that often times 1 or 2 shots of the bracket sequence are not as sharp as the others.

My initial thought was that it was due to me pushing the shutter button and the camera moving ever so slightly.  So I bought a timer remote and once I lock down the ballhead I let the camera rest 10 seconds or so to ensure no movement.  This seems to have helped a bit but at times I still get an image in the sequence that is not as sharp as the others.  There are times when all the bracket shots are sharp.

Also another issue I have run into is with bracketed panos.  In this scenario I have to handle the camera to move left to right to create the pano.  On a recent shoot using a 3 shot bracket almost every middle photo of the bracket was not as sharp as the other 2 images.  There could be a small shift from moving the camera but all 3 images line up very well so if there is a shift it is hard to notice.

So I'm wondering about a few things; are there any other techniques I can use to minimize this issue and is it possible that the unsharp photos are partially caused by the camera itself creating movement from taking the multiple shots?  Although if this were the case I would expect the 2 and 3rd or other proceeding # of shots to also be unsharp.

Setup is Canon 5DSR, Canon 70-300L and 100-400L II lenses.  RRS TVC-33/BH-55  Always using Mirror Lock up w/ 2 sec delay.
http://www.aaroncjors.com

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:49 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It sounds like you’re doing everything right. Have you checked to see if your lens fits tightly against the body? Some of my lenses have a fair amount of play between the body lens mount and the lens. You can feel it when everything is locked down tightly and you attempt to move the body. Sometimes the screws work loose and need to be tightened. If you have the mirror locked up, it really shouldn’t matter. Also, auto focus should be turned off. I have no other suggestions.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SVincent on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:20 pm
SVincent
Forum Contributor
Aaron, If your tripod exposures are a bit long (say, longer than 1/60 sec) and especially for even longer exposures, try turning image stabilization off for these types of photos.  Also, turn your autofocus off for all shots after you've established focus for your first.

3 posts |