All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 19 posts | 
by Jeff Colburn on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:38 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Everyone,

It's almost time for fall and the magic of leaves changing color.

* Do you want to know where to see and photograph them?
* Do you want to know when the colors are changing across the United States and Canada?
* Do you want to read articles about how to photograph changing colors?

If so, read my latest blog post at TheCreativesCorner.com

Where are your favorite places to photograph changing colors? Post it in the comments section.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:07 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Jeff Colburn wrote:......

Where are your favorite places to photograph changing colors? Post it in the comments section.

Have Fun,
Jeff
McKittrick Canyon, Guadalupe NP. The colors are fantastic. The variety of colors is amazing. I haven’t been there for a long time, but around November 1 used to be good. It may have changed since the last time I was there. If you Google “McKittrick Canyon” and click on “images”, you can get an idea of what it is like. You can simply Google “McKittrick Canyon Fall Foliage”, as well.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ADKShooter on Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:35 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
Many places in Upstate NY (and right across the border in Vermont). One of my favorite drives is up Rte 73 (and side roads) heading towards Lake Placid from Exit 30 on the Northway (Rte 87). A beautiful drive but very busy in the Fall. Last week in September through the first week in October is generally the best.

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:59 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi ADKShooter,

Thanks for the info. I have heard that upstate New York is beautiful any time of the year. I can imagine the fall is amazing.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:02 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Joe,

There are some nice photos online. We are considering renting an RV to travel around the country. That would be a nice place in the fall, or year round. Thanks for the tip.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by Bill Chambers on Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:55 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Jeff Colburn wrote: 

Have Fun,
Jeff
Excellent.  Thanks so much for your post, Jeff.  

I enjoy autumn in the Smokies, especially some of the less visited spots; also north Georgia and north Alabama have some beautiful areas for fall foliage.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:31 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Colorado

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:36 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:Colorado
Let’s see what the deep freeze does to the leaves there tonight! That goes for parts of NM, too.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-weather/denver-frostbitten-as-winter-seemingly-overtakes-summer-in-a-day/809472

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:48 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Bill,

Thanks for replying, and you're welcome. My wife has been to the Smokies, and says it's an amazing place.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:53 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Wildflower-nut,

Yes, It would be a great place to shoot. We were in Colorado last year at Mesa Verde National Park just as a hint of yellow was showing on the trees. Unfortunately, we had to leave the next day. There, and on our drive to Durango, I saw many places that would be great for shooting changing colors.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by photoman4343 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:19 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I have been going through old slides to experience Fall color this year. Best color as been in Colorado. Some past hot spots have been, north of Durango along the million dollar highway to Ouray: Cascade Village area; Potato Lake; Purgatory Trail; Lime Creek Burn area; Silverton: Red Mountain; Crystal Lake.

Ouray area: Owl Creek Pass, east and west sides; Silverjack reservoir; Sneffles Range; Last Dollar Road; county roads near Ridgeway.

Crested Butte: Mount Crested Butte and Gothic Road.
Joe Smith

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:49 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Let’s see what the deep freeze does to the leaves there tonight! That goes for parts of NM, too.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-weather/denver-frostbitten-as-winter-seemingly-overtakes-summer-in-a-day/809472

Joe
I have some pictures from the San Juans Ouray-Yankee Boy with fall color and snow on trees from years past.  Wonderful stuff.  Red Mt. Pass I understand got significant snow.  The bowl around Ironton is a favorite.  Ridgeway west to the pass, owl creek pass, silverjack reservoir, etc.  Not sure but area molas pass and coal bank pass south to Durango may not have been hit as hard.  From what I'm reading.  Drought seems to be a problem though for fall color this year.  Snow and fall color is great stuff.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:53 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Jeff Colburn wrote:Hi Bill,

Thanks for replying, and you're welcome. My wife has been to the Smokies, and says it's an amazing place.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Work the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee up to Blowing Rock while you are there.  Tends to be earlier and brighter colors.  Because of the large change in elevations etc. fall color starts as early as early October at high elevations and can last until early November at lower elevations such as cades cove in the Smokies. 

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:22 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
More on the early storm:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/us/d ... ather.html

Joe

by Jeff Colburn on Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:08 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Wildflower-nut,

Wow, fall colors with snow would make great photographs.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by Jeff Colburn on Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:11 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Joe,

Just enough snow to look pretty. Our temps in northern Arizona dropped 22 degrees from Monday to Tuesday. No snow, but a nice break from 110+ days.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by photoman4343 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:15 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Here are some links to Colorado snow. It reminds me of a fall color trip to Colorado on year where my wife and I saw snow with the leaves around Mt Crested Butte.

Note that Trail Ridge road is starting to accumulate some inches.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/3384 ... coloradans

https://www.9news.com/article/weather/w ... 217fb3292b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=eqsy6fccG4s

https://www.estesparknews.com/image_8d7 ... 16e1e.html
Joe Smith

by sdaconsulting on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:28 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
The Smokies and Blue Ridge Parkway (which ends at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park) has my vote. In the Smokies, so many great areas but Cades Cove's vistas and the Middle Prong in Tremont are my top picks.

Along the Blue Ridge Parkway, Graveyard Fields and Grandfather Mountain are my favorites.
Matthew Cromer

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:01 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

Thanks Matthew. Thanks for the locations.

Have Fun,
Jeff

19 posts |