All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Smokepipe on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:17 am
Smokepipe
Forum Contributor
First world problem and decision to make:

Which camera do I take on a hiking trip in California Redwood national/state parks?

Should I carry my Leica Q  (compact lightweight but fixed 28mm lens) or Nikon D850 w/ 28-300 zoom (heavy, but full-featured)

Looking for advice, Thanks!

by Jeff Colburn on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:29 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

It depends how you will be carrying it. Will you be backpacking, driving, doing short day hikes? As I get older (64 now) I find that my 23.5 pound camera pack feels heavier every year. You need to strike a balance between comfort and picture quality.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by ricardo00 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:21 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Smokepipe wrote:First world problem and decision to make:

Which camera do I take on a hiking trip in California Redwood national/state parks?

Should I carry my Leica Q  (compact lightweight but fixed 28mm lens) or Nikon D850 w/ 28-300 zoom (heavy, but full-featured)

Looking for advice, Thanks!

It depends on what you like to photograph.  The trees, scenery, etc or the wildlife like birds and bears?  If the latter, I would think you need something longer than a 28 mm lens.  These two were photographed at Sequoia National Park and required a long lens:

3 posts |