« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by sdaconsulting on Mon May 04, 2020 8:53 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
Trying to figure out what is open so my daughter and I can take a wildlife photography trip before her summer (distance learning!) semester of college starts in a couple weeks.

As far as I know all of the national parks are currently closed due to COVID-19. Is this correct?

I believe Custer State Park is open, and it seems to have a lot of photogenic wildlife. We wanted to go to Yellowstone this spring but the closures make that impossible. Seems like Custer offers some of the same species. Can anyone speak to the opportunities there?

We really enjoy La Jolla for bird and wildlife photography. Can anyone speak to whether the sidewalks near the cliffs and the cliff areas are open right now? How about the children's pool area where the seals pull out. Are those areas nearby where you can look down at the seals closed? The sea lion rocky beach areas next to the bridge club?

Seems like Florida is back open (but pretty hot in May!)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Matthew Cromer

by Srcan on Mon May 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Srcan
Forum Contributor
Been about 6 years and they did have a big fire within the last couple of years but Custer was a good place to go for wildlife. Used to go once a year. No bears or wolves but bison, pronghorn, white tailed and mule deer, prairie dogs, coyotes, elk, and birds. Baby buffs should be dropping soon if not already. Not sure how much the fire affected things.

by Jeff Pearl on Tue May 05, 2020 4:22 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
If you want to drive to Virginia, Parks are open for daytime activities. https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/occoneechee

by Mark L on Tue May 05, 2020 6:18 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
I live in San Diego but have not been down by the Cove recently. I believe that you should be able to access these areas on foot. The parking lots at City, County and State parks are closed but the City has opened many parks for walking. The State is moving towards relaxing the stay at home specifications at the end of this week. Our weather has been wonderful, although it has been foggy at night and in the mornings.

by sdaconsulting on Wed May 06, 2020 3:53 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone!
Matthew Cromer

5 posts |