« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by rene on Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:38 am
rene
Forum Contributor
I’m looking into a trip to Texas  to visit a couple of Ranches to photograph birds. No direct flights from London, so I need to take an internal flights from Dallas to Mccallan airport with American Airlines. Can anyone tell me whether there are any issues taking a Thinktank airport accelerator with approx 15-18kg on board? What planes do they fly from Dallas to Mccallan?
Many thanks
Rebe 

by whitedog2 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:00 pm
whitedog2
Forum Contributor
I fly that route several times a year to go to Laguna Seca to shoot with the owner (a really great guy!). If you have already made reservations your aircraft type should show on your flight data/schedule. If not my experience is that it will be one of three types; Canadair CR9, Embraer E75, or Airbus 319. All are "small, short hop, commuter jets" with VERY limited overhead space. I normally travel with an Airport Essentials AND one of the older Urban Disguise V60 bags (like a large thick briefcase that just happens to hold a complete camera setup) as my "personal bag." I think you will have a problem with the accelerator bag due to size if you are on a CR9 or E75 (am positive you will have a problem of size getting it into the E75 overhead). I haven't flown on the A319, so don't know about that one. Weight will not be a problem on these flights unless they see you dragging the bag across the floor to get to the plane. Avoid gate-checking anything at DFW as the ramp from the boarding tube to the aircraft apron is just a near vertical slide with no one to catch anything (bags just pile up when they hit the bottom).

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:48 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
As per our offline discussion, it isn't weight that you need to be worried about, it's that the overhead bins fill if you have one of later boarding groups, generally 6 or above on AA. This can be mitigated by purchasing the Main Cabin Extra or MCE (or first class) for those short segments. this will ensure that you get to board before the masses but after first class and high level One World frequent flyers. If you already have One world Saphire or Higher you don't need to worry at all. The only aircraft types you need to worry about are CRJ or ERJ 135/145. The 175/185/195 are much bigger and have normal sized bins. I fly about 150K miles per year on American and as much as a hundred flight segments per year on them as Phoenix is a hub city for AA so virtually all of my flying is on them. I fly through DFW dozens of times per year as well as all of the other AA hubs.

3 posts |