All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:24 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Hi, I’m looking for recommendations for binoculars. Ideally I want a wide FOV, high eye relief since I wear glasses and not too heavy. Close focusing would be good as well. I’d like good quality but I’m not interested in spending a $1,000 because they’ll be bounced around a bit. 
I’m thinking 8x is probably sufficient. I’ll be carrying them around my neck while photographing and I’ve been using canon image stabilized versions but they are heavy and have a narrow FOV so I’m looking for something better. 
Thanks for any suggestions!
Scott

by Ed Cordes on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:42 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I have a pair of Vortex Vipers 8 X 42. I have been using them for over 10 years and love them. I believe I paid around $350-400 at the time. I would advise against 10 X as the FOV is small and it is much harder to hold steady.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Jeff Pearl on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:26 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
[url=https://www.leupold.com/binoculars/bx-1-yosemite-8x30mm]https://www.leupold.com/binoculars/bx-1-yosemite-8x30mm[/url]

Leupold makes quality binoculars, but they can get expensive.

by Scott B on Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:04 pm
Scott B
Forum Contributor
I think the Vortex Vipers suggested above or Nikon Monarchs are both really good mid price range binoculars.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:16 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Ok, thanks to everyone, I'll check them out.

by photoman4343 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:17 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I use Nikon Monarch binocular with ED glass. I think mine are 8 x 42. Price was very reasonable and weight is not that bad.
Joe Smith

by Ethan Meleg on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:14 pm
Ethan Meleg
Forum Contributor
Ditto the recommendation for the Nikon Monarchs, I just bought a pair for my girlfriend and I'm very impressed by them.
Ethan Meleg
web: [url]http://www.ethanmeleg.com[/url]

by Mark Boranyak on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:42 pm
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
There's some good recommendations here. Before you pull the trigger though, check out birdwatching.com. There is a wealth of information here about binoculars. Diane and her husband sell just about every brand available and at various prices level and have personally checked out all or most of them. Their prices are very competitive. Diane was most helpful in helping me pick out a bino for my wife.

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:41 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 have been my favorites for several years now.

by Scott Fairbairn on Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:17 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Mark Boranyak wrote:There's some good recommendations here. Before you pull the trigger though, check out birdwatching.com. There is a wealth of information here about binoculars. Diane and her husband sell just about every brand available and at various prices level and have personally checked out all or most of them. Their prices are very competitive. Diane was most helpful in helping me pick out a bino for my wife.

Thanks, I like the Zeiss pair on their recommended list, however, it doesn't appear they ship to Canada. It does give me good info at the site though!

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:48 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I am a Zeiss man! :)

by Primus on Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:19 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Mark Boranyak wrote:There's some good recommendations here. Before you pull the trigger though, check out birdwatching.com. There is a wealth of information here about binoculars. Diane and her husband sell just about every brand available and at various prices level and have personally checked out all or most of them. Their prices are very competitive. Diane was most helpful in helping me pick out a bino for my wife.

Thank you Mark. Indeed a very helpful site. I am also looking for a new pair of  binoculars and this clears up a lot of issues. Will definitely buy from them.

EJ, I settled on the Zeiss too. I am thinking of starting with the 'pocket' version though. Not sure if I should go for the 8X25 or 10X25. They are identical in size and weight - of course the 10X has a smaller FOV as expected. Any thoughts?

Eventually I may go for the big 'Titan' - the 10x42, but not sure I want to spend that much money yet. Perhaps the pocket version would be enough. One thing that is not mentioned is how stable  the image would be especially as you go for the bigger objectives. I have a consumer Canon IS binocular which is difficult to use without pressing the IS button and keep the image stable electronically. I've read that these high end products are so good optically that image stabilization is not a big deal.

Pradeep

by Wildflower-nut on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:19 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I had zeiss 8x20's for years. I would not go back. 8x25 not much larger and easier to use (zeiss or Swarovski). I use mine spotting when photographing with super telephoto. Light weight is important. I'd stay away form the 10x42 etc unless you are primarily a bird watcher. As to 10x or 8x I'll leave that to someone else. I've always gone with 8x.

13 posts |