« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Greg Downing on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:01 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Looking for someone with a large format Epson printer (24 inch wide) to print some hummingbird backgrounds on matte paper. I’ve tried to get some printed commercially but no one seems to print on true matte paper and I need  something that has no sheen whatsoever. I’m looking to get about 15- 20 backgrounds printed at 24 x 36 and obviously willing to pay whatever is appropriate. 

Alternately if anyone has suggestions for commercial printers who print on true matte paper that has no sheen that would be helpful as well. I had an entire order printed from Vista print advertise as matte paper but it certainly is not. I got my money back. 

If anyone can help in any way please contact me directly at greg@naturescapes.net

Time is of the essence as I will need them delivered to my house before January 20.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by signgrap on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:22 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Greg, have you tried Bay Photo? https://www.bayphoto.com/
They have a paper called Fujicolor Crystal Archive Deep Matte Velvet. Here is the description:
Professional paper with a deep matte non-reflective surface that feels velvety soft.
I've never used this paper so I can't tell you anything from first hand experience but you should be able to talk to someone knowledgeable at Bay Photo who can tell you if this is what you're looking for.
You also might want to look at printing on canvas as canvas prints usually have a dead matte surface.  This also might be easier to transport as canvas will roll up easily and fit in mailing tubes to keep them from getting damaged in shipping. 
Dick Ludwig

by bradmangas on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:35 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
HI Greg, from the sounds of your question you may be looking for something low cost for your own specific type of use. You might take a look at Perfect Posters. The website address is actually https://www4.automatedphototechnology.com/pp/index1.htm

Don't let the name fool you they print fine art quality prints on a variety of paper types including a standard matte and enhanced matte, difference being paper thickness. In their Articles section they say their Premium (or Enhanced Matte I take) is Legion Entrada Rag Bright 290 fine art paper (100% cotton).

The only reason I am recommending them is because of their low cost. I could recommend a few other printers that have matte papers but all will be much more expensive. I have personally had many prints printed by Perfect Posters and have always been completely satisfied with everything. They are not my go to printer when I produce fine art prints for sale, but only because I have chosen to have my high end work printed on a couple other specific papers (Canson and Hahnemuehle, that I charge a premium price for) but I have sold many prints that I did have printed by Perfect Posters over the years.

Prints will come rolled in tubes typically 2-3 days shipping and very low shipping cost. I just looked and a 24x36 inch print on Standard Matte is $29.35 with shipping and on Enhanced Matte is $34.15 with shipping.

I first came across Perfect Posters years ago from an article that I read in Outdoor Photographer magazine by Dewitt Jones. He said he had some work printed there that he wanted to give to someone and found them a very good low cost source for prints.

Anyway this might be an option to check out. Like I said I have never had an issue with anything I have gotten from them.

by Greg Downing on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:08 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Thanks for the suggestions all - I appreciate it! I was able to find a printer who is related to one of my clients and he's printing them for me on an Epson printer. The price is a little more than some other suggestions but he's been very helpful with back and forth discussion so I'm giving the job to him. He contacted me in response to this thread. 

Thanks again and I will let you know how they turn out!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Greg Downing wrote:Thanks for the suggestions all - I appreciate it! I was able to find a printer who is related to one of my clients and he's printing them for me on an Epson printer. The price is a little more than some other suggestions but he's been very helpful with back and forth discussion so I'm giving the job to him. He contacted me in response to this thread. 

Thanks again and I will let you know how they turn out!
Good large format truly matter paper and the inks are definitely pricey ;)  I can only do 17" wide in-house or else I would have offered :)

5 posts |