« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Aegolius on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:29 pm
Aegolius
Forum Contributor
Any suggestions for a birding tour for an old guy.  I'd love to be at Churchill in early June, 2020 or 2021.  Any suggestions as to a tour that would be there at that time, or a local guide that might be available, would certainly be appreciated.  I would be carrying my DSLR along with me.  My thanks in advance....

by Richard B. on Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:38 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Just a suggestion that you also consider an artic bird photography tour in Nome, AK if photography is the main object of your trip. Nome is a unique place but on the verge of substantial change I'm afraid. I believe there are several photographers operating tours in that area. I went a few years ago with Matt Studebaker (no affiliation) and it was great. Tons of birds, some unique, in a very unusual place. Twenty hours a day of shootable daylight at that time of year. BTW, I was 69 when I went, not strenuous, just long days.

Just a suggestion.

Richard

by ricardo00 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:31 am
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Aegolius wrote:Any suggestions for a birding tour for an old guy.  I'd love to be at Churchill in early June, 2020 or 2021.  Any suggestions as to a tour that would be there at that time, or a local guide that might be available, would certainly be appreciated.  I would be carrying my DSLR along with me.  My thanks in advance....

Just curious what you are trying to see?  Went in July up to Foxe Basin a number of years ago for walrus and seals.  Not sure this is what you are looking for, but Fred Lemire is a photo guide in Nunavut:

http://www.fredlemirephotography.com/contact-1

by Aegolius on Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:50 pm
Aegolius
Forum Contributor
I would like to see a variety of nesting birds, the shorebirds, gulls and other near-Arctic species that nest there, but not here in northern Michigan.

I would like to go with a small group, or someone who knows the area and birdlife well.

I haven't flown anywhere since 1994, and dread the thought of a flight, so hopefully can meet up with a group so I won't be so nervous.....

Thanks for the reply - BIll G.

by ricardo00 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:48 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Aegolius wrote:I would like to see a variety of nesting birds, the shorebirds, gulls and other near-Arctic species that nest there, but not here in northern Michigan.

I would like to go with a small group, or someone who knows the area and birdlife well.

I haven't flown anywhere since 1994, and dread the thought of a flight, so hopefully can meet up with a group  so I won't be so nervous.....

Thanks for the reply - BIll G.

Hi Bill, I am by no means an expert on birds, but Nunavut has lots of nesting birds!  Maybe Fred can help you steer you but, as Richard suggested above, it may be easier in Alaska? 
  We stayed on an uninhabited island a few hours boat ride from Igloolik and there were lots of birds nest on the island, including arctic terns (see below

by SVincent on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:27 pm
SVincent
Forum Contributor
I've been to both - Churchill many years ago and Nome more recently.  The diversity of bird species at Nome is far greater than Churchill. I went to Nome on a Matthew Studebaker tour, and I highly recommend his tour.  For either trip, you'll need two flights to reach your destination so if I had to pick one, it would be Nome over Churchill.  Good luck!

by Paul Fusco on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:10 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
SVincent wrote:I've been to both - Churchill many years ago and Nome more recently.  The diversity of bird species at Nome is far greater than Churchill. I went to Nome on a Matthew Studebaker tour, and I highly recommend his tour.  For either trip, you'll need two flights to reach your destination so if I had to pick one, it would be Nome over Churchill.  Good luck!
I would agree with Scott about Nome. I have been to both and Nome has alot more to offer. I went to Churchill on a Tom Vezo tour many years ago and it was great. A few years later I went to Nome with a small group of friends. Nome is a much bigger area to cover than Churchill and has a greater variety of birds and other wildlife.
Both places were productive for me and I would go back again to either place.
Good luck!
Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by rb_stern on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:42 pm
rb_stern
Forum Contributor
I have never been to Nome, but here's a plug for Churchill. 

3 of us went in early June 1997, spent 5 days and saw 105 bird spp.- nearly all of which were in full breeding plumage and very co-operative in posing for photos, (including 2 Ross's and several Little gulls, many Parasitic Jaegers, many shorebird spp. and a variety of passerines in the more wooded areas, Hoary Redpolls and Am. Tree Sparrows in town, etc. etc.), often right by the roadside. There were Pacific Loons and R-N. Phalaropes in close range as we got off the plane.  Unfortunately that was before I was into digital photography or had decent lenses, so I'd love to go back if it hasn't changed. We rented a car, stayed in a nice hotel, and had no problem getting around. We flew to Winnipeg and spent a few days near there and in Riding Mountain National Park, for local breeding summer birds before flying up to Churchill. I don't know if you could do that for Nome as easily or cheaply. If cost is an issue, with the exchange rate for Americans visiting Canada, getting to Churchill might be a better bet than Nome at the moment.

Good luck with your trip, wherever you go.

Richard
Richard Stern
Nova Scotia, Canada
richard-s.smugmug.com

8 posts |