All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:09 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
His hard drives, cameras and equipment were stolen:

https://fstoppers.com/news/national-geographic-photographers-hard-drives-stolen-airport-contain-images-440960

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:37 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
When traveling always always always put your images in three different places on the way home. In my case the originals are on the memory cards they were taken on in my camera bag, my laptop is in a messenger bag and my external SSD is in my checked bag. Having all of your images, even if backed up multiple times in a single bag is not all that much better than having no backup at all.

by Jim Zipp on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:44 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
E.J. Peiker wrote:When traveling always always always put your images in three different places on the way home.  In my case the originals are on the memory cards they were taken on in my camera bag, my laptop is in a messenger bag and my external SSD is in my checked bag.  Having all of your images, even if backed up multiple times in a single bag is not all that much better than having no backup at all.

When traveling I always have one in the camera bag, one in my pocket and one on my laptop but hadn't thought about checking one.  Good idea.   Another level of safety.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
One backup in pocket is a good idea as well.  The bottom line, everything is replaceable and in many cases insured, except for the photos you take.  those are not replaceable.  I hope the photographer in the petapixel article had a backup other than in the bag that was stolen.  If not, well, I hate to say it but that's a basic failure in photography travel 101.  I nearly suffered that fate on the return from my first trip to Iceland 12 years ago when I left my bag with backups on the airport shuttle in Boston.  I waited for the same bus to come back around again and fortunately the bag was still there.  that was the last time I ever kept my images and their backups in the same bag - as many single points of failure as possible must be eliminated!!!

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:18 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I hope the photographer in the petapixel article had a backup other than in the bag that was stolen.........
I would find it hard to believe that someone as prominent as Joel would not have other backups or maybe even cloud storage. He is definitely not a naive novice. It’s hard to say for sures from his Instagram and Facebook pages whether or not he had any other backups, though.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I hope the photographer in the petapixel article had a backup other than in the bag that was stolen.........
I would find it hard to believe that someone as prominent as Joel would not have other backups or maybe even cloud storage. He is definitely not a naive novice. It’s hard to say for sures from his Instagram and Facebook pages whether or not he had any other backups, though.

Joe
But then, if he did, why would this be such a big news story.  Stuff gets stolen at airports everyday.  All he's doing by making a big thing about it is to place value on the images contained.  If he just kept quiet about it publicly, the thieves likely are just to pawn, resell or use the stuff, and the images would be deleted - nothing lost except for a little bit of hardware...  Hmmm!!!???

by OntPhoto on Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:24 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:

Joe
But then, if he did, why would this be such a big news story.  Stuff gets stolen at airports everyday.  All he's doing by making a big thing about it is to place value on the images contained.  If he just kept quiet about it publicly, the thieves likely are just to pawn, resell or use the stuff, and the images would be deleted - nothing lost except for a little bit of hardware...  Hmmm!!!???
And send a backup copy via courier to NG or someone he trusted.  While most of us will not go to that extent, he should -- given his job / line of work.  I am not sure the thieves will be able to sell any of the images on the storage drives but likely will just delete the images and sell the media.  I think that's all they wanted, the gear.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:06 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Surveillance image of suspected thief, according to sources:

https://www.facebook.com/marrysatunjung ... 6583732534

Joe

by Rocky Sharwell on Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:51 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
After hearing a horror story about a Galapagos group watching their boat burn  and sink from the beach on the last day of a trip I have become much more careful 
Rocky Sharwell

by OntPhoto on Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:46 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Surveillance image of suspected thief, according to sources:

https://www.facebook.com/marrysatunjung ... 6583732534

Joe
The image quality is decent enough for identification especially if it were in a connected city like Ottawa.  Usually if a photo of that quality is posted here, an ID is usually not far off.  I am not sure about Bali and all the visitors that move in and thru there.  Businesses are starting to install cameras with better image quality.  There are countries and cities that have a good camera presence.  I am all for more cameras to capture criminal activity. Innocent people don't have much to worry about. 

10 posts |