« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by joseph motto on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:28 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
Two questions:
(1) Is the Birdwatcher's RV Park outside Bosque back in action or would one have to stay in Socorro or elsewhere?

(2) Has the boardwalk behind the water treatment plant in Port Aransas been restored following the hurricane two years ago or is it still defunct?
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:31 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
If you google this: (birdwatchers rv park, san antonio, nm) , you will see a phone number for Billy (575)517-6841. There are also a couple of recent reviews, so I must presume they are open again. (One review says they’re open again).

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by LHays on Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:20 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Joseph
I just got back from 12 days of Bosque a couple of hours ago. There were RV's and tents while I was there. A guy was actively working the grounds with a tractor. It was open while I was there. I don't know anything about Port Arkansas. Bosque was exceptionally good for me this year....actually spent less time outside the refuge than normal.

Lana
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by photoman4343 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:17 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Regarding Port Aransas, it is still recovering from the hurricane. For specific info on the Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center call the city at 361-749-4111 and ask them your specific questions. I believe a portion of that boardwalk is now open, but the specific details vary from site to site.
Joe Smith

by Bruce Sherman on Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:00 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
The boardwalk at the Birding Center was rebuilt and has been in use
 for several months. It is a lot less photographer friendly than the old boardwalk. It is much higher than the old boardwalk and significantly farther away from the birds/water. 
Bruce Sherman
[url]http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman[/url]

by joseph motto on Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:56 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
Bruce Sherman wrote:The boardwalk at the Birding Center was rebuilt and has been in use
 for several months. It is a lot less photographer friendly than the old boardwalk. It is much higher than the old boardwalk and significantly farther away from the birds/water. 
Interesting that they would repair it in a way that is less usable. Sorry to hear that as it was one of my favorite sites.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by Bruce Sherman on Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 am
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
IJoseph motto wrote:
Bruce Sherman wrote:The boardwalk at the Birding Center was rebuilt and has been in use
Interesting that they would repair it in a way that is less usable. Sorry to hear that as it was one of my favorite sites.
Joseph, 
I was told that the reason the new boardwalk was constructed in this way is to make the new boardwalk more resistant to any future hurricane damage. Just looking at it this makes sense. The materials used in the new boardwalk are much sturdier than the 2x pressure treated lumber in the old boardwalk.
Bruce Sherman
[url]http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman[/url]

7 posts |