All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by calvin1calvin on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:55 am
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
I have been wanting to go to White Sands to do some landscape photography.  I have done some research about trying to enter just prior to sunrise and stay just after sunset.  I am unsure about securing permits to do this and thought about joining a photo workshop so all the logistics are covered.  Is this something others have done individually?  Is a photo workshop the way to go?  (I don't mind doing the leg work and logistics for myself)  I understand the missle testing may close the area and there are other things to photograph in the area.  Thanks for the input.  

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The process is well documented on the White Sands web page :)
https://www.nps.gov/whsa/planyourvisit/earlyentry.htm

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:03 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Missile testing is infrequent and probably won’t affect your visit to White Sands. If it does, there is the Three Rivers Petroglyph site not too far away. The Organ Mountains are photogenic, as well, especially at sunset. Here is a link to some info on the area:

https://www.alamogordo.com/area-attractions/

You can also google “Otero County visitor info” for more. Cloudcroft is just up the mountain and there is a cool, photogenic railroad trestle on the way up.
Keep in mind that the winds can be brutal in March and that you may need to protect your equipment from the dust. Sometimes the radar images pick up the dust blowing into Oklahoma around that time.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Joe makes a great point. As a former resident of NM for 11 years, spring is the one season I do not want to photograph there, especially in the desert, due to the constant, powerful, and very dusty winds. It peaks in April so if your trip is early in March you might still be OK. Of course strong winds can make for dramatic photos but your gear could get a bit "gritty".

by sdaconsulting on Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:26 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
$50 an hour to enter early or leave late is pretty spendy IMO when you have no idea what the weather will be on a particular day and whether sunset will be worthwhile (you have to buy the permits weeks in advance).

I like the Imperial / Algodones dunes in Southern California and you have access to them 24/7 via Hwy 78.
Matthew Cromer

by calvin1calvin on Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:15 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check them out.

by sdaconsulting on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:13 am
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
Looks like White Sands will offer backcountry camping soon, as they are now a National Park!

That's great news for photographers.
Matthew Cromer

by WildOne1 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:14 pm
WildOne1
Forum Contributor
Spring NM wind isn't just bad just for dust too, but wind itself is just so aggravating in general. I like to enjoy being out, and wind really makes that hard sometimes. A lot of people listed some other great NM locations. One more that gets a lot of notoriety is Chaco Canyon, and I just want to take this opportunity to say that if you're thinking of going there make sure your vehicle is ready for some abuse. The road is one of the worst that I've driven on, and it took years off of my poor car.
No pressure, no diamonds. Thomas Carlyle

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:18 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
WildOne1 wrote:......A lot of people listed some other great NM locations.  One more that gets a lot of notoriety is Chaco Canyon,.....
If going to Chaco, an area close by and not to be missed is the one I wrote about here:

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=286133

For images, Google “Bisti Badlands Images”. 

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by AForns on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:16 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
E.J. Peiker wrote:The process is well documented on the White Sands web page :)
https://www.nps.gov/whsa/planyourvisit/earlyentry.htm

Thanks for the link E.J. 
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

10 posts |