All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by calvin1calvin on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:19 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
I have two Olympus cameras the OMD EM1 Mark ll and the 1MX.  I have a couple of the Delkin SD type II memory cards but continue to hit the write buffer when photographing birds in flight.  Can anyone recommend fast SD cards for these cameras.  FYI, just trying a switch from my Nikons and miss the speed of the XQD cards but my back says thank you for the lighter weight gear.  Thanks to all.  

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:44 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This is an old review, but I believe it is still one of the fastest. It must be used in card slot 1 for fastest speeds:

https://fstoppers.com/originals/review- ... yet-327546

This one is close, but it is slower at writing:

Sandisk

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DChan on Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:11 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Currently I use SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC II 300mb/s. I don't have buffer problem photographing BIF but it could be I shoot differently. The same card is in my Nikons as well in addition to the XQD.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:49 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:Currently I use SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC II 300mb/s. I don't have buffer problem photographing BIF but it could be I shoot differently. The same card is in my Nikons as well in addition to the XQD.
It’s only 260mb/s write speed. The Sony is 299mb/s write speed. SanDisk has 30mb/s minimum guaranteed write speed and the Sony Tough has a 90mb/s guaranteed minimum write speed. And, of course, the qualifier is always “up to” regarding the read and write speeds.
Here’s an article on the topic:

https://cameratimes.org/best-memory-cards-olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Sony Tough cards are the fastest on any camera that has UHS II slots.

by calvin1calvin on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:21 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Sony it is. Thanks

by Gene Gwin on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:25 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
calvin1calvin wrote:I have two Olympus cameras the OMD EM1 Mark ll and the 1MX.  I have a couple of the Delkin SD type II memory cards but continue to hit the write buffer when photographing birds in flight.  Can anyone recommend fast SD cards for these cameras.  FYI, just trying a switch from my Nikons and miss the speed of the XQD cards but my back says thank you for the lighter weight gear.  Thanks to all.  
Calvin,
I assume you're shooting in high rate which is I think 18 fps and in silent mode up to 60 fps.  Have you considered using low rate?  It's still, I believe, 12 fps, and in all but unusual situations is sufficient frame speed, imho.  I think the Nikon D850 is about 8 to 9 fps.  Also, I'm not an Olympus expert, but I believe in high rate the camera does not refocus between shots.  While in low rate it does.  I've read the manual, yes 693 pages, and that's the way it appears to me.  Please let me know if I did not understand the manual correctly.  Good luck.  Also, Allen's camera shop is having a big sale on November 16th.  Maybe their cards are on a good sale?

by calvin1calvin on Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:11 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
I was shooting in high but switched to low, also had some slower cards. Purchased 4 of the Sony cards that were recommended and that seems to have solved the write problem. Still missing a lot of big images due to auto focus missing. I am still learning the Olympus system and many of my errors are self induced. A little different from my Nikons. Thanks for the tip.

by Gene Gwin on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:07 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
calvin1calvin wrote:I was shooting in high but switched to low, also had some slower cards.  Purchased 4 of the Sony cards that were recommended and that seems to have solved the write problem.  Still missing a lot of big images due to auto focus missing.  I am still learning the Olympus system and many of my errors are self induced.  A little different from my Nikons.  Thanks for the tip.
Calvin,
Read somewhere that the images are very slightly sharper in the silent mode due to no movement inside the camera.  Makes sense, but I don't really know.  Might be worth an experiment?

9 posts |