All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Brian K. on Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:21 pm
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00115
I was reloading Aurora HDR on my new iMac the other day from the Skylum website. Then this pops up on my screen:
What could possibly be the reason to allow them to do this? Of course I hit Deny and deleted the app off my computer. I have been searching and have not found anything on this. 

Thanks,
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]
http://www.bdkennedy.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Absolutely DO NOT allow this. There is absolutely no reason anyone should do this as it will log every password to every site you visit. I can't think of a more irresponsible request by a company and would sever all ties with any company that even asks such a question.

by Brian K. on Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:08 pm
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Absolutely DO NOT allow this.  There is absolutely no reason anyone should do this as it will log every password to every site you visit.  I can't think of a more irresponsible request by a company and would sever all ties with any company that even asks such a question.

Thanks for replying EJ. I of course did not allow this. I also found this in my finder after I denied this request. 
I have sent an email to Skylum asking for a reason for this. I will keep you and all NSN members up to date after their reply. 
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]

by Mike Veltri on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:45 am
Mike Veltri
Forum Contributor
Here is some information about you situation.
Starting with macOS Mojave (10.14), Apple has a new policy that requires user permission for our Options software for the following features:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-au/articles/360023203954

by Brian K. on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:52 am
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Mike Veltri wrote:Here is some information about you situation.

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-au/articles/360023203954

Thank you for that link. I appreciate it. 

But I am still not allowing third party software to track my keystrokes, for exactly the reason EJ pointed out. While I see and understand the Logitech explanation, what I worry about is some "hacker" using this for their advantage to access my computer. 

Thanks again for the link. 

Brian
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:07 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Nothing to worry about.
That's just Apple's Vista moment- new security features in 10.15 OS (Catalina).
Every application which is not using standard API for accessing input (keyboard,trackpad) will trigger that dialog.
So if you don't trust Aurora or Microsoft or any other developer you can click deny.
In some cases that will break functionality of application in question.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yet another reason why Mojave is the last OS X I will ever use and why I will not purchase Apple computers in the future...

by Andrew_5488 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:21 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yet another reason why Mojave is the last OS X I will ever use and why I will not purchase Apple computers in the future...

In my opinion, Apple computers became garbage long time ago when they decided to glue batteries and solder memory and SSD to the logic board.
I don't know if that was specifically done to keep independent repair shops out of repairing Apple computers or somebody actually thought that this was good idea as a design.
Looks to me that they design computers and other hardware to maximize profit and nothing else.

Repair procedures for computers made in 2016 and newer show how hard they want to keep out independent repair shops.
Right now if somebody replaces your LCD panel for brand new original one but doesn't have access to Apple software in the cloud, won't be able to make that display to work with computer. Now, when you replace parts in Apple computers you have to connect to big brother to "enable" those parts. Ridiculous !

I said goodbye to Apple long time ago. All my working computers are 2012 and older :-)

PS. If you have 2018 and newer laptops and your logic board goes bad, there's no way to recover your data
2016 models had port on logic board which in some cases of bad logic board would still allow you to hookup "Apple's magic" box and recover data. That's not the case with newer computers.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Andrew_5488 wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yet another reason why Mojave is the last OS X I will ever use and why I will not purchase Apple computers in the future...

In my opinion, Apple computers became garbage long time ago when they decided to glue batteries and solder memory and SSD to the logic board.
I don't know if that was specifically done to keep independent repair shops out of repairing Apple computers or somebody actually thought that this was good idea as a design.
Looks to me that they design computers and other hardware to maximize profit and nothing else.

Repair procedures for computers made in 2016 and newer show how hard they want to keep out independent repair shops.
Right now if somebody replaces your LCD panel for brand new original one but doesn't have access to Apple software in the cloud, won't be able to make that display to work with computer. Now, when you replace parts in Apple computers you have to connect to big brother to "enable" those parts. Ridiculous !

I said goodbye to Apple long time ago. All my working computers are 2012 and older :-)

PS. If you have 2018 and newer laptops and your logic board goes bad, there's no way to recover your data
2016 models had port on logic board which in some cases of bad logic board would still allow you to hookup "Apple's magic" box and recover data. That's not the case with newer computers.
Yes, in my opinion Apple is the new Adobe.

By the way, for an equivalent build quality computer in the Windows world with repairable and interchangeable parts, look no further than Razer.

by Brian K. on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:19 am
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Topic Update:

I just heard back from Skylum Support Team. They replied:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for reaching out.

The thing is that on Catalina OS some privacy settings were changed.

You got this message in order to get the permission to use shortcuts.

Thus, it doesn't affect your system in a negative way anyhow.

Best regards,

Anastasia
Skylum Support Team
Great Photography Differently
Web: www.skylum.com
Connect on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Ok, so that confirms what Andrew said in an earlier post. Still worried about someone using it as a back door to access the computer. Maybe I'll reinstall, deny the permission and NOT use keyboard shortcuts? What say those with more knowledge then me?

Thanks,
Brian
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]

10 posts |