« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:33 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
By now everyone knows about the 4 year cycle with regards to the irruption of some boreal owl species such as the Great Gray Owl, Boreal Owl and the Northern Hawk Owl.  This year will be a winter leading up to the next expected irruption, winter 2020-2021.  Winters leading up to or following an irruption year can see a smaller movement of the aforementioned boreal birds.  

Looking at eBird, I see 6 seperate sightings of Northern Hawk Owl in the eastern Quebec area, all dotting the north shore. Too early to tell if this is just a localized thing or will be more widespread.  The irruption is not expected until the next winter. 

Up in the Hilliardton Marsh banding station, they have netted 141 Boreal Owls this fall.  Their best year was in fall 2012 when they banded 208 Boreal Owls.  This number could have been much higher if they had used a boreal owl call much earlier in the fall anding season. Fall 2012 was the first time they set up a dedicated boreal owl call late in the banding season. Winter 2012 to 2013 was an irruption winter which explains the high number.  

The Hilliardton Marsh folks mentioned that they did not initially know about the 4 year cycle and said it fits their data perfectly.  I have been talking about the 4-year cycle for 10 years now. No data from the Prince Edward Point banding station so far this fall.  Here's hoping for a Boreal Owl sighting this coming winter which is just around the corner.  It likely won't be anywhere as good as the next winter (2020-2021) but anytime I get to see a Boreal Owl is a good thing. 

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by OntPhoto on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:12 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Dang!  There's something going on in the east coast of Canada.  8 reports of Northern Hawk Owls now with one in Nova Scotia.  The Nova Scotia bird along the Apple River is being seen by many as the rectangle is a darker shade of purple.  It's possible there were some local breeding birds and they're on the move or dispersing.  But it could also be a localized movement in that area or maybe a double-count in case a later report is of the same bird having moved to a new location.  Can't wait to see what that map will look like in November.  This is exciting, if you're into owls.

by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:52 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
November looked great for Northern Hawk Owl.  I was fortunate to see one recently in Eastern Ontario. Someone else found it and was fortunate it was shared.  Told to keep location quiet.  I can't talk obviously.  Received tips about 2 locations in Eastern Ontario.  The first location was not successful but this one was spot on but still had to search for it.

They publicized 2 others via Ontbirds, one in Rainy River and the other bird in Cochrane. Mine is much closer to home and is not publicized including the second one that I received a tip about.  There are also a number of northern hawk owls in Quebec. 

As to boreal owl, people are seeing one near the Quebec City area. 

by OntPhoto on Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:13 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
One last one.  Don't like overcast white backgrounds but I'll take what I can get especially of this rare visitor to eastern Ontario.  These owls tend to move southward in November and stay into March before flying back north. Late to the game of using back-button AF and sometimes forget to to use it instead of the shutter button to AF.  Learning.  Canon 70-200 2.8L IS III and 2x.

by Pete Zwiers on Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:41 pm
Pete Zwiers
Lifetime Member
Member #:00411
East of Prince George, BC last weekend, I came across 3 different NHOs in a 45 km drive. This is definitely not normal for this section of road.

Also spotted 3 northern pygmy owls on that same drive ... which was absolutely nuts because I've only ever seen 3 of these while driving over the past 25 years (seen more hiking and at home though). 

by OntPhoto on Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:03 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Pete Zwiers wrote:East of Prince George, BC last weekend, I came across 3 different NHOs in a 45 km drive. This is definitely not normal for this section of road.

Also spotted 3 northern pygmy owls on that same drive ... which was absolutely nuts because I've only ever seen 3 of these while driving over the past 25 years (seen more hiking and at home though). 
Thanks for sharing that.  I think this owl was scarce in Ontario for the past number of years even during the irruption year. Maybe the owls had a good breeding season.  I'd like to study this owl in the boreal forest but don't like the plentiful bugs up there in the summer months :-)

by Pete Zwiers on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:27 am
Pete Zwiers
Lifetime Member
Here's one from Sunday Dec 1. We've driven out there a few more times in the past few days, but we had a couple of days last week of bad weather and the NHOs seemed to have moved on. 

Just click on image if you want to see it larger.

by Pete Zwiers on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:30 am
Pete Zwiers
Lifetime Member
The odd thing is that we're continuing to see Northern Pygmy Owls ... one two days ago, and another two today. After years of not seeing them along the road, we seeing crazy numbers!

Again, click on image to see it larger.

by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:19 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Nice shots.  Haven't seen a Pygmy Owl as they are not here in eastern Ontario.  We do have plenty of northern hawk owls this fall. This is a good winter to just drive around Ontario especially in the Ottawa and Gatineau area and you never know, may spot a northern hawk owl.  Once I have time, will do just that.  Think there may be 3 to 4 in the Ottawa area (including the one that got hit by a car next to a major highway).  Yes, there are 4 in and around the Ottawa and surrounding area (Ottawa Valley).  Likely many more go unnoticed. But I have a number of already publicized locations in both Quebec and Ontario to go see this species.  One just got reported near Toronto today via Ontbirds. I was surprised to see the report as most people do not post location.  The Toronto location wil be heavily visited and especially over the holidays which is in 2 weeks.  

by OntPhoto on Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:03 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
OK.  These are the last photos of Northern Hawk Owls near Ottawa.  Three owls so far this season. Photographed No. 2 (hunting from wires) and No. 3 (flying off perch) within last 2 days.  Both owls near Ottawa and  natural activity.  Today's action was spectacular. 

Last edited by OntPhoto on Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by jnadler on Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:58 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Great photos.

I may want to drive up to Ottawa after Christmas. We have no snowy owls at home and I see they are around tge same location south of Ottawa. Northern hawk owl a bonus.  

by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:24 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Thanks Jeff.  For now I cannot talk about the northern hawk owls (there are two) near Ottawa but only one is ideal for photography.  The most popular one is located in Lanark County which is very close to Ottawa. I’m sure there are more around here.  

Another well known northern hawk owl location is located in the York region of the Greater Toronto Area.  Check an earlier December Ontbirds email.  It is well publicized.  I hear the owl likes to fly around the marsh a lot offering many close-up photo ops.  

I can talk about snowy owls and they are at the usual spots in Ottawa.  There is white male snowy that hangs along Brownlee just off Eagleson in the west end of Ottawa.  It may be the same male from the past several years.  Should be easy to spot now.  Couple of other darker snowy owls at same location.  Check Akins, Rushmore, Fallowfield.  Just don’t litter when going into the fields.  The land owners are very accommodating and many have already asked for permission.  

It is never boring here in Ottawa over the winter.  Always some owl to photograph.  This is why I usually stay in town because many of the owl photo ops are right here in town or nearby.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by jnadler on Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:15 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:Thanks Jeff.  For now I cannot talk about the northern hawk owls (there are two) near Ottawa but only one is ideal for photography.  I haven’t had time to go searching for these owls as I’m sure there are more around here.  One well known northern hawk owl location is located in the York region of the Greater Toronto Area.  Check an earlier December Ontbirds email.  It is well publicized.  I hear the owl likes to fly around the marsh a lot offering many close-up photo ops.  

I can talk about snowy owls and they are at the usual spots in Ottawa.  There is white male snowy that hangs along Brownlee just off Eagleson in the west end of Ottawa.  It may be the same male from the past several years.  Should be easy to spot now.  Couple of other darker snowy owls at same location.  Check Akins, Rushmore, Fallowfield.  Just don’t litter when going into the fields.  The land owners are very accommodating and many have already asked for permission.  

It is never boring here in Ottawa over the winter.  Always some owl to photograph.  This is why I usually stay in town because many of the owl photo ops are right here in town or nearby.

Thanks for info.  Ill start looking around for lodging in the area but probably not Ottawa since I am coming from south.

by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:18 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I am not sure if the snowy owls in the west end of Ottawa are easy to find right now.  Lack of snow.  There is still snow on the ground but it is mixed with the dark soil giving it a mottled look making it harder to spot snowy owls.

Safe to say, this is an irruption winter for northern hawk owls.  There are around 40+ sightings reported in Ontario and Quebec.  I am hoping whomever monitors this species up north can provide some insight as to why it's happening this winter.  The usual reason is typically that it was a good breeding season followed by a lower food source up north, forcing many to come further south in search of food. 

The popular owl near Toronto apparently is banded and is a first-year male.  Saw this on Jean Iron's website (where the annual Finch Forecast (for Ontario and surrounding areas including the states bordering Ontario and Quebec) is published). 

by OntPhoto on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:49 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Someone counted 6 snowy owls (including 2 whiter male owls) just a few days ago at the popular location along Akins, Brownlee, Shea, Rushmore and Eagleson in the Stittsville area west of Ottawa.  After photographing the nearby northern hawk owl (20+ km west) on Sunday, I drove to Akins and found 3 snowy owls including a white male along Akins.  A darker barred snowy owl was perched along Fallowfiled.  That owl on the bottom left is so tame, I see people walking only several feet by it and the owl doesm't even flinch.  :)  

by OntPhoto on Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:37 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Great Gray Owl

It's been a great winter so far for northern owls.  Three northern hawk owls near Ottawa and now the first great gray owl of the season. Photographed in eastern Ontario.

16 posts |