Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by sdaconsulting on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:53 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
My daughter is heading to the Yellowstone next week for photography over her fall break.

She and my wife have one day with Sandy Sisti doing wild horse photography near Cody, and one day in Yellowstone doing wildlife with NSNer D. Robert Franz. They have one more day not already scheduled.

Any suggestions for a day trip (probably into Yellowstone) from the Cody, WY entrance?

Thanks!
Matthew Cromer

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:21 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
PM and email sent.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Joel Eade on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:44 pm
Joel Eade
Forum Contributor
I was in Cody and did 3 days in Yellowstone about a month ago.

Be prepared for long days and lots of driving ... I was amazed how vast it is.

The entrance is around 1 hour from Cody and Old Faithful is about 120 miles from Cody

The roads ere kind of set up as a southern loop and a northern loop .... either run is a very long day

Most of the well known geysers are in the southern loop while the Yellowstone Grand Canyon and Mammoth Hot Springs are in the northern loop.

There scenic vistas and chances of seeing wildlife everywhere.

The last day we left Cody around 7am ..... entered the park and skirted the north end of the lake .... crossed fishing bridge (under construction btw) and then turned north to Canyon village and saw the Yellowstone falls and the Canyon. Then west to Norris and then north to Mammoth Springs. We stopped a bunch along the way for landscape and wildlife photos. Spent a long time at Mammoth. Then went back east and came out the Northeast entrance in Cooke City Montana. Stopped to eat dinner there. The drive from there back south to Cody is over 2 hours but incredibly scenic. We got back to Cody around 11:30 PM.

by signgrap on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:01 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
sdaconsulting wrote:My daughter is heading to the Yellowstone next week for photography over her fall break.

She and my wife have one day with Sandy Sisti doing wild horse photography near Cody, and one day in Yellowstone doing wildlife with NSNer D. Robert Franz. They have one more day not already scheduled.

Any suggestions for a day trip (probably into Yellowstone) from the Cody, WY entrance?

Thanks!
I would suggest they ask Franz. He'll be aware of what they would see with him and would be in position to suggest things to see that are at their prime scenic wise to do in 1 day. 
Dick Ludwig

by goldingd on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:32 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Geyser Basins

If, she visits any of the Geyser Basins, haul a monopod, not a tripod, around. A tripod gets in the way on the walkways.
Also, for the Geyser Basins, a wide zoom, and even then some PANO work, pivoting the camera on the monopod.

Waterfalls

On East side of park, the Waterfalls, typically Upper and Lower , Big, powerfully falls, Large enough that that slow shutter misty look might not be appropriate, but include a neutral density filter set in case she wants to slow that shutter down, depending on sun, a gradient may or may not be helpful.

Wildlife

As for the wildlife, a long standoff distance will be involved, safety for the animal, safety for the visitors, so long lens and steady capable tripod.

Clothing

Weather can surprise you, just might perhaps snow, perhaps rain, perhaps gloriously sunny and dry. Pack accordingly.

Nearby (sort of) Grand Tetons National Park

If a detour into the Tetons, include graduated neutral density filters. Big bright sky, hopefully, not as bright huge mountains, darker meadow and/or Forest. And tripod if for nothing else, to slow you down and think.

5 posts |