Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:33 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I have been an admirer of John’s focusing abilities and have posted about him here before. Here are his focusing and shooting techniques from his recent Kenya tour:

https://www.gerlachnaturephoto.com/single-post/2019/09/28/Photo-Strategies-I-used-during-the-2019-Kenya-Tour

The sharpness of his images is as good as it gets.

A previous post:

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=284230

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:15 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Why worry about white balance in raw...doesn't he know that it can be set in post?

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:27 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Why worry about white balance in raw...doesn't he know that it can be set in post?
That’s exactly what he said! RAW doesn’t apply any white balance, so it makes no difference how it’s set when shooting.

https://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/ps_workflow_sec3.pdf

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:16 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I just keep my WB set to sunny all the time but there is a case to be made for setting it more precisely. The histogram that is generated is based on an embedded JPEG in the RAW file that has the white balance setting applied. If you have the wrong WB set, it could fool you into underexposure of the shot based on either the red channel or blue channel blowing out on the histogram when in fact the RAW file is just fine. As an example, as I said, I usually just keep my WB set to sunny. If I am shooting during the blue hour, this will make the image MUCH bluer on the rear LCD and therefore the histogram than reality and there is a high chance of blowing out the blue channel on the histogram. If I didn't understand this, I might be tempted to reduce exposure until the blue channel isn't blown. If I did that and then I get it into my RAW processor, set the proper WB, the whole shot will now be significantly underexposed.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:16 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A thorough discussion of the topic from a few years back:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=266935

Joe

5 posts |