Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by photoman4343 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:48 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
My wife and I left for Europe a few days ago.  At IAH (Houston airport) on Monday and at Charles de Gaulle airports, I was told to place my laptop in the tray for security examination.This was expected. Then I was told to add my cell phone, external hard drives, Hyperdrive, etc to the same  tray that held my laptop. The Houston (IAH) TSA agent said to add anything that used electronics, except for cameras and lenses. So  I complied. 

I was flying Air France and they had a notice posted about lithium batteries in (checked ?) and carry on luggage. I had to show the agent who checked my passport all of my lithium batteries. She saw the plastic caps on my two extra batteries and said they were OK.  She did not ask to see the one in my camera after I told here there was one in the camera. 

Just be prepared for whatever security or airlines may require you to do as you fly these days.  

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
photoman4343 wrote:My wife and I left for Europe a few days ago.  At IAH (Houston airport) on Monday and at Charles de Gaulle airports, I was told to place my laptop in the tray for security examination.This was expected. Then I was told to add my cell phone, external hard drives, Hyperdrive, etc to the same  tray that held my laptop. The Houston (IAH) TSA agent said to add anything that used electronics, except for cameras and lenses. So  I complied. 

I was flying Air France and they had a notice posted about lithium batteries in (checked ?) and carry on luggage. I had to show the agent who checked my passport all of my lithium batteries. She saw the plastic caps on my two extra batteries and said they were OK.  She did not ask to see the one in my camera after I told here there was one in the camera. 

Just be prepared for whatever security or airlines may require you to do as you fly these days.  

Joe Smith
None of this is new Joe, it's been like that for some time.  You can get around some of this at least on flights originating in the USA with TSA Pre-check - you will not be required to unpack anything including batteries.

by Paul Fusco on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:04 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
I know someone that had Lithium Ion camera batteries in his checked luggage on an international flight. When he arrived at his destination, the batteries were missing and he assumed stolen. In reality, the batteries were likely confiscated by security officials.
Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Bottom line is that it is illegal in every country on Earth to have any kind of LiIon battery in checked luggage.

4 posts |