All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 1 post | 
by OntPhoto on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:24 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
http://www.jeaniron.ca/2019/wff19.htm

Many years ago the annual Finch forecast sometimes included the movement of some boreal forest owls but that is no longer done because of a lack of research (surveys of small mammals like voles, rodents etc.).  

The next expected irruption of owls like great gray, boreal and northern hawk owl is winter 2020-2021. It's a reliable cycle of every 4 years and sometimes 5.  However, winters leading up to or following an irruption winter can see a small movement. 

Reliable 4 year cycles. Winters 2004-2005, 2008-2009, 2012-2013, 2016-2017. Winter 2020-2021? If the every once in awhile 5 year thing doesn't happen.

Last winter in Ottawa we saw at least 5 great gray owls concentrated in one area of the city. This could be due to other factors such as nearby breeding birds.  Algonquin Park has a scant population of breeding great gray owls.  I heard that last year was a good year for them up in Algonquin Park. Although very rare, great gray owls have nested locally in the Ottawa area in the past and it would not be surprise me if there are some a bit north of here as well (this is what I meant by "nearby").  There are things that I cannot share especially on a public forum.

1 post |