All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by calvin1calvin on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:53 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
Arthur Morris's blog said he had a bad card in his camera and needed to retrieve the images.  One of his followers said you could copy the images from the bad card to another card via a card reader and I think he said you could copy the card from one card slot to the other card slot in the camera.  I have an Olympus OM-D E-1 Mark II and experienced a bad sd card.  I tried unsuccessfully to retrieve the images from recovery software and when I inquired about using a service I found it more expensive to retrieve the images than to retake the trip next year.  If anyone knows if you can copy images from one card slot to the other card slot in camera please let me know.  I did not see anything in the menus and/or the manual.  I may be overlooking something.  Thanks   

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:48 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I don't know what Arthur's blog said but on most cameras you can not do that (there may be some that you can); however, what you can do, and what I do is on cameras with two slots is to write every image to both cards.

by calvin1calvin on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:13 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
I am now doing that same thing so I have a duplicate file while in the field.  I must have misread the blog post because I looked at the menus on my Olympus cameras and my Nikon cameras and did not see any settings for copying cards from one slot to another.  I may try copying in a card reader to see if that works.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:48 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
You might want to read this. It may or may not pertain to your camera, but it looks like some cameras can do it:

https://www.dummies.com/photography/cam ... o-another/

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/nikon-d600-for/9781118530818/ch6-sec020.html

https://unlockingolympus.com/2017/02/e-m1-mkii-can-copy-cards-within-camera/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DChan on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:00 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor

Yup, it's there...Olympus OMD EM 1- Mk II :

Hit MENU button

Go to the PLAYBACK menu

Select COPY ALL
Just checked my camera.

by calvin1calvin on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:29 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone. I tried this on the corrupted card and it did not work. I will just toss the card and return to the area where the images were made considering it's only 2hrs from my home. It is cheaper to return than it is to have a professional service extract the data, if there. The good that came out of this is twofold: I will set up my cameras to write images to both card slots and now I know I can copy images from one card slot to the other. I want to thank everyone for their ideas and help, it was greatly appreciated.

by rb_stern on Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:03 pm
rb_stern
Forum Contributor
Not necessarily relevant to the Olympus camera referenced, but it can easily be done in a Nikon D500. Where it has come in useful for me is when I have forgotten to put the SD card back in its slot in the camera after leaving it in the card reader. I set the menu to write to both cards, but if only the XQD card is in there, it writes to that, and I can insert the SD card into the 2nd slot later and copy files to it. I don't have an XQD card reader, so I can't transfer files directly from the XQD card to the computer.

Richard
Richard Stern
Nova Scotia, Canada
richard-s.smugmug.com

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:37 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
rb_stern wrote:I don't have an XQD card reader, so I can't transfer files directly from the XQD card to the computer.

Richard
You should be able to transfer images from XQD card to the computer via the usb cable that should have come with the camera. I have read elsewhere that an XQD card reader was supplied with the camera, but I don’t know for certain.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ricardo00 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:43 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
rb_stern wrote:I don't have an XQD card reader, so I can't transfer files directly from the XQD card to the computer.

Richard
You should be able to transfer images from XQD card to the computer via the usb cable that should have come with the camera. I have read elsewhere that an XQD card reader was supplied with the camera, but I don’t know for certain.

Joe
   I don't think any camera is supplied with an XQD card reader.  Sometimes an XQD card comes with a reader (my first XQD card did).  You can, as you said, transfer images from the XQD card to the computer via a usb cable to the camera if you don't have a card reader.  However, IMO, the original statement is false, if a card has been corrupted/failed, it wouldn't in most cases allow you to transfer from one card to another.  This could depend on what one means by a card failure.  If the OP can see his pics on the card, then it would be reasonable to think you can transfer the pics to the other card (at least in a D500 it is possible).  But if the camera won't show the pics, it doesn't seem likely that the camera would be able to transfer anything.

by calvin1calvin on Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:49 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
That is what happened in my case. The camera did not recognize the card and did not display the images. I think I was part of the problem. The camera was new and I just changed from Nikon. I initially could see the images but pushed so many buttons, went through too many menus, etc. I screwed it up and by the end the camera and computer showed card error. I kicked myself but just lost one morning out of four and the rest of my images were fine. My bad.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:47 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
ricardo00 wrote:   I don't think any camera is supplied with an XQD card reader.  Sometimes an XQD card comes with a reader (my first XQD card did).  
The D4 did and some cards have come with readers. I think that maybe the D500 owner that mentioned getting one with their camera may have gotten it as a bonus. I can’t find the link again.

https://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/nikon-d4-to-come-bundled-with-xqd-card-and-reader-1071612

EDIT: Here’s the link I was referring to. The first post by Simonsnapz is what I was going by, but maybe I misunderstood what he was saying:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2888793@N24/discuss/72157667765230873/

Joe

11 posts |