All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another winning photo was disqualified for manipulation:

https://petapixel.com/2019/06/08/wildlife-photo-contest-winner-disqualified-for-editing-elephant-ears/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Swissblad on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:29 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
I guess it is time that unedited slides (chromes) need to be submitted again.... and even then there were issues....;)

by Primus on Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:48 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I think the pressure to win these contests is so high that many people are willing to bend the rules. Do you really believe a seasoned photographer and photoshop user 'accidentally' swapped the ears?

Winning a prestigious award can instantly transform a popular photography tour leader into a 'highly desirable' one. For some it can change their fortunes overnight. There is no shortage of people with money who want to travel with acclaimed photographers.

Perhaps they should allow 'anything goes' in these contests. There is so much manipulation one can do even within the confines of the guidelines of a competition that the image can change quite dramatically, the only thing that is not permitted is deleting or adding any object to the frame. However, any photoshop expert can completely alter the feel and mood of an image without cloning/erasing/embedding anything in it. So pardon my cynicism, but nothing is really as we see it or as it was originally captured.

So why pretend otherwise? Allow people to be as creative as possible, after all it is the 'vision' of the photographer that is being judged, is it not?

Pradeep

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:55 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Photography has probably never been a truly “unaltered” art. Lens perspective, film choice/color palette, DOF, etc. have never rendered a “representative” image of the scene before the photographers eyes. Now, since at least the ‘90’s, digital manipulation has played a strong role in imaging. Art Wolfe uses photography to create art and teaches a seminar on the subject:

https://events.artwolfe.com/photography-as-art/

If there are very specific rules in a contest, they should be agreed to and followed, but rules are so arbitrary and open to interpretation that very few people even understand exactly what is allowed. There is no putting the cork back into the bottle anymore regarding digital manipulation and contests must acknowledge that art and photography are so comingled that there is no separating them anymore. I like “straight” images because they are the truest to what I saw when the shutter was released, but I can’t compete with images that have been expertly worked on in PS/other programs. Everybody chooses what is acceptable to themselves regarding changes to an image and that’s the way it should be, unless you must follow rules that limit your vision. That is not what an artist considers “freedom of expression”.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Brian Stirling on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:55 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Yeah, the mere choice of composition, what to include and what to exclude, alters the event so even the most basic of composition choices can change your perception of the event. There was a famous photo of a child on a sidewalk -- the child was a bit dirty and the impression given was of a depression era child fending for herself when in fact it was just a family out for the day and the child got dirty playing.

As others have said the idea that a photog didn't know he swapped the ear or part of it is ... not plausible.

Brian

by OntPhoto on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Once again, caught because the subject of the photograph was so well known. Same thing with the WPOTY wolf jumping over the gate shot that won but was later disqualified when other photographers who knew the subject exposed the winning photographer.  He was then banned from ever entering that contest again.  I would say, not the smartest of people who do this.

by Phil Shaw on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:06 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
I think the fact that the elephant image even got through to the final round/rounds of judging says a lot about the judging of this competition. I don't know how I could capture the same perspective as that which is present in this image unless I combined multiple frames. I guess a special elephant and sky lens or filter was used - going to Google that now ;).
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

7 posts |