Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Swissblad on Sat May 11, 2019 5:51 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
3000 wild orchid bulbs were dug out from a small orchid reserve in the Black Forest close by.

While the dialogue is in German - the images say all: 

https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/baden-wue ... 5-100.html

Saddened by the loss of these rare species - which are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 12, 2019 4:58 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This sort of stuff is disgusting!

by Ed Cordes on Sun May 12, 2019 8:13 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Terrible news! These things are just not sane or even human!
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Paul Fusco on Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
ALL crimes against nature should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by Brian Stirling on Fri May 17, 2019 9:50 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I'm not sure what's worse, vandalism or theft. Here in the desert southwest of the USA we have an ongoing problem of desecration of ancient Native American sites with 4000 year old pictographs shot up with bullet holes etc. In this case it appears to me that this was theft -- I have to guess there's a market for such bulbs.

Not quite 400 years ago the biggest industry in the world was the speculation of the Dutch Tulip market -- perhaps the first case of speculation leading to market collapse. I'd guess there must be a black market for such things even today.

The scum that do this are little different than the scum that kill Rhino's for their horns.

Brian

by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 18, 2019 8:14 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Truly, money is the driving force. This morning, my wife and I went to a local nursery. They had a yucca about two and a half feet tall with a flower stalk that will bloom soon. The price: $550.00. I see vendors on the side of the road selling yuccas and agaves all the time. There is plenty of money to be made by digging them up and finding a wealthy buyer who doesn’t care where they came from. Same is true regarding native cactuses. It’s much like rhinoceros horns and elephant tusks, along with exotic birds like the African Grey Parrot. If there is a concentration of orchids that are easy pickings, they are vulnerable, much like our native desert plants here in the southwestern US. Pretty sad situation all around the world.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by sdaconsulting on Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:21 am
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Truly, money is the driving force. This morning, my wife and I went to a local nursery. They had a yucca about two and a half feet tall with a flower stalk that will bloom soon. The price: $550.00. I see vendors on the side of the road selling yuccas and agaves all the time. There is plenty of money to be made by digging them up and finding a wealthy buyer who doesn’t care where they came from. Same is true regarding native cactuses. It’s much like rhinoceros horns and elephant tusks, along with exotic birds like the African Grey Parrot. If there is a concentration of orchids that are easy pickings, they are vulnerable, much like our native desert plants here in the southwestern US. Pretty sad situation all around the world.

Joe

That's terrible!

We have lots of yuccas here growing here (North Carolina) by the sides of roads. Gorgeous plants that make the perfect foreground in a landscape image. They are blooming right now, actually.
Matthew Cromer

7 posts |