Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
https://www.dpreview.com/news/7387722427/nvidia-research-project-uses-ai-to-instantly-turn-drawings-into-photorealistic-images

More:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/research/ai-playground/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Martin 095 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:05 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
How long before those of us that still use dedicated cameras are thought of as "old-timers", "quaintly antiquated" and dare I say, "obsolete"? Good luck trying to explain to someone that you really were at a particular location and clicked the shutter.
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by bradmangas on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:15 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I found it not only interesting but nearly laughably funny that one of the first things the narrator states when describing this technology was; "wouldn't it be great if everyone was an artists". This one statement exemplifies the disconnect between those who can and those who think they can. I suppose it is not much different then the mindset today that "everyone is a photographer". Many have good cameras and can place themselves in very photogenic locations and capture images that are technically almost perfect. But as we all know or should know, that does not make a photograph that could be considered art. Many can create technically good images but simply have nothing to say or don't know what to say.

I actually do like to see new technology such as this come along. As I like to see improvements in cameras come out. I know from experience a new camera may make certain types of images "technically' better, but has no bearing on whether the final creation is good, bad, or indifferent. It can however be a distraction to creating meaningful work if you get to involved in the technical side as opposed to the creative side. So when folks rush to buy the newest camera I always wonder, have they actually outgrown their current camera? Or just like new shinny (and distracting) things.

by DChan on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:03 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
I don't know why label is so important to some people who use cameras.

Yes, it would be great if everyone was an artist.

Just because you see a photo-realistic image does not mean you're seeing a photograph. So stop asking silly questions :-)

The biggest problem I see with some of today's technologies is that it could be getting harder and harder to distinguish what is real information and what is fake. Whether it is a photograph or not is secondary. What is more important is how the image affects you or anyone and thus your or their behaviour as a result.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:54 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:I don't know why label is so important to some people who use cameras.

The biggest problem I see with some of today's technologies is that it could be getting harder and harder to distinguish what is real information and what is fake. Whether it is a photograph or not is secondary. What is more important is how the image affects you or anyone and thus your or their behaviour as a result.
Well, that’s your opinion, but your opinion doesn’t mean everybody should feel that way. If a person is making a living through hard work(or not) obtaining a “real” image, this will eventually reduce the demand for such images by commercial users. What you say in your last statement doesn’t apply to people making a living through photography, but only viewers who are not necessarily buyers of photos who actually pay for using them. I guess the same can be said about paintings when photography was a new invention. There was much less skill and time involved. Now it’s just a few key strokes in front of a monitor with no field work involved. The same actually applies to digital vs. film. Now with a few minutes and a few key strokes, a fair to middling image can be transformed into a marketable image. With film, a poor image was a total loss. 

To quote John F. Kennedy: We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda; it is a form of truth.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DChan on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:51 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe
Well, that’s your opinion, but your opinion doesn’t mean e:verybody should feel that way. 
Doesn't that go without saying ? :-)
[snip] If a person is making a living through hard work(or not) obtaining a “real” image, this will eventually reduce the demand for such images by commercial users. What you say in your last statement doesn’t apply to people making a living through photography, but only viewers who are not necessarily buyers of photos who actually pay for using them.
And I was not addressing particularly to photography. Some of you see it simply as a problem to photography. I see it a much bigger problem.
 I guess the same can be said about paintings when photography was a new invention. There was much less skill and time involved. Now it’s just a few key strokes in front of a monitor with no field work involved. The same actually applies to digital vs. film. Now with a few minutes and a few key strokes, a fair to middling image can be transformed into a marketable image. With film, a poor image was a total loss. 
The way I see it is some of you still hung up on photographs, photographs rather than images, images, and the notion that a photograph/image that requires more time from you is better and more valuable than one that does not. First of all, it is not necessarily better (whatever it means). Second of all, sure, from the costing perspective the one requiring more time/resources should cost more and thus should be selling at a higher price. Thing is price is also a function of demand. Any product can worth nothing if nobody wants it. And the decision to buy or not many a time has a lot to do with feeling, psychology, rather than logic and objective facts. Besides, when it comes to art, yup, it can be created with just a few key strokes, too. Bottomline is, things change, got to adapt. If one is selling photographs now, well, perhaps he/she should be start using the word image instead. Digital images can be art, too, you know. And many actually start with some photographs. Those digital artists don't work for free. Come to think of it, who to say photographs being sold today are not photoshoped :-)

Anyhow, technologies have been taking over a lot of things and jobs. Unfortunately not all of us could come out better off. C'est la vie I guess.

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:44 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

This is indeed another nail in the coffin of the photography industry. It certainly won't replace the need for photographers everywhere, but there will be a sector in marketing, advertising and gaming that currently uses photographs, but will switch to this software.

I think what will happen is this, and other software and phone upgrades, will meet more and more needs of the people who currently hire photographers or buy stock images. Eventually, it will be impossible to make a full time living as a photographer in many sectors. Only what can't be synthesized (weddings, events, sports, portraiture, etc.) will still need photographers. It will be death by 1,000 cuts.

Hopefully, before the photography industry is completely decimated, people, publications and others will realize the quality that a real photographer can bring to a project, and to Fine Art, and turn back to wanting real photographs. We can but hope.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:32 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A new article:

https://fstoppers.com/originals/how-muc ... ers-354271

Joe

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:25 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

That's almost unbelievable. In the near future, I can see only things like portraiture and weddings being straight photography. Everything else will have some degree of CGI. Photography will morph into composite photographs created from something like Unreal Engine and the photographers own photos. Photography will go from recording the world, to creating worlds from the photographer's imagination. It's all very exciting.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:58 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Now it is probably coming to smartphones:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/224229070 ... selfie-app

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:43 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
And now a robot wedding photographer:

https://petapixel.com/2019/04/11/this-r ... t-wedding/

Well, not exactly, but close.

Joe

by Jens Peermann on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:21 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I'm not worried. Artificial intelligence will never be a match for natural stupidity. :lol:
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

12 posts |