All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:59 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Apparently a hiking trail near Lake Elsinore is also having a super bloom and with it crowds that forced the town to close the trail for a day to figure things out.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-poppies/poppy-apocalypse-crowds-descend-on-california-city-to-see-superbloom-idUSKCN1QZ2DT

I'd guess most of socal will see better than average blooms this year including DV.

Brian

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:17 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Doesn’t sound like DV will get a superbloom this year:

https://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_dv.html

But who knows.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Brian Stirling on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:03 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I noticed in the Reuters reported I linked they were calling it the "Poppy Apocalypse" -- leave it to the media to engage in some hyperbole.

So perhaps the area around Badwater at the lowest elevations will not share in the super bloom this year though it does sound like the higher portions of the park will -- not sure why the floor wouldn't if it also had a good winter for rain.

Brian

by bradmangas on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:39 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Events and or places such as this have become quite a phenomena the last few years. Many photographers refuse to give specific locations of places in order to help protect them from the onslaught of other photographers which I support 100%. It only takes a few people with no regard to the fragile nature of many environments to drastically impact those environments in a negative way. Impacts by those who, for lack of better words can be referred to as the "selfie" generation are by far the most destructive aspect to these and many other natural environments. It's really nothing but human pollution.

I wish those in places such as the media would have enough common sense to realize just because something in beautiful or even spectacular is not reason enough to publicize it. Articles like this are proof of that. And the worse part is most will never understand why. They are only concerned with their own wants, needs, and a quick Instagram post to prove to their friends how awesome they are.

4 posts |