Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 22 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:13 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Changes are being proposed to make economic impacts a consideration before all else:

Endangered Species Act Proposals Considering Economic Impacts

Our most endangered and rare photographic subjects are in peril of being lost due to economic costs to oil, ranching, farming, development,  etc. The loss of our rarest and, arguably, most beautiful species to observe would be a tragic thing if economic impacts are placed above their survival. In New Mexico alone, the species involved include the Mexican Gray Wolf, Jaguar, Lesser Prairie Chicken, and many others.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by WDCarrier on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:18 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Changes are being proposed to make economic impacts a consideration before all else:

Endangered Species Act Proposals Considering Economic Impacts

Our most endangered and rare photographic subjects are in peril of being lost due to economic costs to oil, ranching, farming, development,  etc. The loss of our rarest and, arguably, most beautiful species to observe would be a tragic thing if economic impacts are placed above their survival. In New Mexico alone, the species involved include the Mexican Gray Wolf, Jaguar, Lesser Prairie Chicken, and many others.

Joe

Joe,
I realize this site is adverse to any discussions that even hint at any political concerns, even those that may adversely affect the very subjects of our photographic efforts.   I was appalled to recently note that some members even support the administration’s actions that are contrary to the hard-fought regulations we have on protecting wildlife species, both here and abroad.  As my entire professional career has been focused on protection of our wildlife resources, it shouldn’t be surprising as to my anger at such efforts by the administration and congressional members to change the old adage to: “A dollar in hand is worth more than a bird in the bush!”
I wonder what the hue and cry would be from those same members if there was legislation proposed to outlaw digital cameras.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by Paul Fusco on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:19 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
This is nothing short of a torpedo shot at the Endangered Species Act. Sorry to be political about it but there is no other way to discuss it.
This is a direct attempt by Republicans in Congress, Individual 1, and the resigning Sec of the Interior Zinke to put wildlife and disappearing habitats in a weakened position to pay back their big money special interest donors. This short-sighted dereliction of duty comes at the expense of public lands and wildlife.
If anyone on this site enjoys photographing natural landscapes or wildlife in places that include national parks, BLM lands, national wildlife refuges and national monuments this policy this will affect you.
Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by Bill Chambers on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:26 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
It's sickening to witness the power of greed over goodness. I can't even begin to fathom how a nature photographer could support this action or this president's anti-environmental policies.  The human race is finally beginning to understand just how fragile our planet is and yet, the US plunges us headlong into the dark pit of denial, ignorance, and stupidity, all for a dollar.  Our current political leadership would have been the leaders of the people ridiculing Galileo, Capernicus, and other early scientists back in the day. Willful ignorance is never a good thing, or a good excuse.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

Last edited by Bill Chambers on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Mike in O on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:45 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Paul Fusco wrote:This is nothing short of a torpedo shot at the Endangered Species Act. Sorry to be political about it but there is no other way to discuss it.
This is a direct attempt by Republicans in Congress, Individual 1, and the resigning Sec of the Interior Zinke to put wildlife and disappearing habitats in a weakened position to pay back their big money special interest donors. This short-sighted dereliction of duty comes at the expense of public lands and wildlife.
If anyone on this site enjoys photographing natural landscapes or wildlife in places that include national parks, BLM lands, national wildlife refuges and national monuments this policy this will affect you.
Paul
Endangered species act is not only about public lands but includes all territories designated US Fish & Wildlife to be critical habitat though public lands usually carry the most burden.  This act was passed with bi-partisan support and is still thought of as the most important legislation ( along with the clean water act) to get through Congress.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:17 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
In the article, I especially like the quote from Richard Nixon. He got it right.

“Nothing is more priceless and more worthy of preservation than the rich array of animal life with which our country has been blessed.”

He didn’t care much for environmentalists, but understood something had to be done for some reason that ran contrary to his dislike of them. He also created the EPA!

https://www.history.com/news/richard-nixon-endangered-species-act-esa-environment

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Paul Fusco on Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:36 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
If endangered species is not enough, take a look at what the same folks are doing to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. One of the most successful and long-standing wildlife conservation laws in our country is being attacked.
Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio

by WJaekel on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:57 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I cannot even open the link above posted by SantaFeJoe due to "legal reasons" because I live outside the US in the EU. Beautiful new world :oops: 

Wolfgang

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:46 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:I cannot even open the link above posted by SantaFeJoe due to "legal reasons" because I live outside the US in the EU. Beautiful new world :oops: 

Wolfgang
Wow! That’s too bad. It’s just a local newspaper article and not anything particularly censorable. I don't know of any other way to post a link to it. If I find a way, I’ll post it.
EDIT: Try this:

New Link

If you are referring to the History.com link, every other link I find leads to the same thing.

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:45 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A related article:

ESA

Joe

by WJaekel on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:25 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
WJaekel wrote:I cannot even open the link above posted by SantaFeJoe due to "legal reasons" because I live outside the US in the EU. Beautiful new world :oops: 

Wolfgang
Wow! That’s too bad. It’s just a local newspaper article and not anything particularly censorable. I don't know of any other way to post a link to it. If I find a way, I’ll post it.

New Link

If you are referring to the History.com link, every other link I find leads to the same thing.

Joe
I was referring to the link in your original post and the new link above is blocked again, too. See the copied and pasted message below :

"451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact webeditor@sfnewmexican.com or call [url=tel:+1505-983-3303]505-983-3303[/url]."

I have never experienced the blocking of sites outside the EU due to those data protection rules which just require companies to disclose the collection and use of the personal data of the visitor and optionally ask for his agreement of being tracked. So there's no reason to be locked out unless they have something to hide. Anyway, I don't think it's worth the hassle for me to give them an international call or discuss the issue via email. Maybe they're just playing catch up with some other countries as to censorship :wink:

Wolfgang

by Mike in O on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:18 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:

Wolfgang

New Link

Joe
I was referring to the link in your original post and the new link above is blocked again, too. See the copied and pasted message below :

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact webeditor@sfnewmexican.com or call [url=tel:+1505-983-3303]505-983-3303[/url]."

I have never experienced the blocking of sites outside the EU due to those data protection rules which just require companies to disclose the collection and use of the personal data of the visitor and optionally ask for his agreement of being tracked. So there's no reason to be locked out unless they have something to hide. Anyway, I don't think it's worth the hassle for me to give them an international call or discuss the issue via email. Maybe they're just playing catch up with some other countries as to censorship :wink:

Wolfgang
The EU is on a tear to protect its snowflake constituents from the ravages of a free internet (read USA content).  This over regulation will lead to more Brexit like withdrawals.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:20 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Wolfgang
I just spoke to the web editor at the paper and he said that it was due to some EU(?)regulation so it is not available at this time. They are working on a solution, but it probably won’t happen soon. It’s unbelievable to me that in this day and age of instant info, something so innocuous would be blocked. Sorry.

Joe

by Paul Fusco on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:20 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Food for thought ...

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/ ... andal.html

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environm ... vnQfbpK22g
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:52 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The US is not alone in the Americas when it comes to environmental problems. In Brazil, just hours after being elected Jair Bolsonaro turned over oversight of important lands to agribusiness and will certainly result in great loss of Amazon rainforests. He is getting strong support and praise from our govt.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... rotections

Wildlife and wildlands are being attacked in so many ways. So many species are in peril. 

Joe

by Paul Fusco on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:20 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Wildlife and habitats are under attack in so many places around the world. So much that its hard to keep track of it all.
I used to be more hopeful about conservation and humans doing the right thing to preserve species, land and habitat. Now unfortunately, it seems that ignorance, money,  and greed are destroying much of what is left and the rest of us are powerless to stop it.
It is a truly disturbing thing that we see happening. And, the trend will only be getting worse. The ignorance and power doesn't seem to realize it yet but in the end, they are only destroying themselves too.

Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio

by Mike in O on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:31 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
It has been amazing to see the consolidation of power that the corporations have demonstrated from the 70's (environmental legislation heyday) to the present day. From taxes to exploitation of the natural world, all over the globe, the natural world is at bay. I think it has been allowed to happen because the tremendous growth of the human population causing much more friction for the spoils that are left over.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:03 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:I think it has been allowed to happen because the tremendous growth of the human population causing much more friction for the spoils that are left over.
It’s all about greed and wealth and who gets the most economic benefit. In the Amazon, consider who it hurts the most. It is the indigenous peoples who barely subsist. They have nowhere to go and no means of rising economically. It is the endangered species that cannot speak for themselves. It is the land that will never recover. The effects are non-reversible. I have no progeny(or wealth!!!) to worry about, but most of the people benefitting from destruction have future generations of their lineage that will cry when they learn how their ancestors acquired their wealth at the expense of the earth and, mostly, the inhabitants of destroyed areas. Why do people equate wealth with something good? How much money does one have to have to finally realize that they will never be happy and totally satisfied ??? The day we die, it will all be useless!!! Why do people with wealth by extraction not consider the fact that they may have destroyed the very ability to subsist of very poor peoples in the acquisition of their own personal wealth, status or whatever? Where do the animals go to survive. In the ANWR, the story is the same, with one obvious difference. Many of the natives want their chance at having wealth they have never known before. Can’t we just leave even a few areas untouched without having to extract monetary gain from them at the expense of wildlife, peoples and the land itself??? I really get sad when I hear of how new or extra drilling permits are handed out for areas near places like the Bisti Badlands. How can areas and formations like these withstand fracking? Just look at the fragility of these formations:

Bisti Formations

Like they say, if your not mad, you’re not paying enough attention!

Joe

by Paul Fusco on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:59 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:It has been amazing to see the consolidation of power that the corporations have demonstrated from the 70's (environmental legislation heyday) to the present day.  From taxes to exploitation of the natural world, all over the globe, the natural world is at bay.  I think it has been allowed to happen because the tremendous growth of the human population causing much more friction for the spoils that are left over.
Are we getting close to reaching human carrying capacity??

Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio

by WJaekel on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:
WJaekel wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:

Wolfgang

New Link

Joe

Wolfgang
The EU is on a tear to protect its snowflake constituents from the ravages of a free internet (read USA content).  This over regulation will lead to more Brexit like withdrawals.
Mike,
the Brexit has absolutely nothing to do with the EU rules requiring transparency for the usage of personal data. I agree that there’s certainly over regulation in many aspects in the EU. But I disagree that the attempt to protect the people from the rampant collecting, combining and selling their personal data by espionage without their agreement is kind of a snowflakes attitude. And the regulations are not targeted especially vs the US content though FB, Google, Amazon etc. are major players often producing headlines in disregarding and leaking privacy. I’m skeptical that the rules will be successful, though. I know that quite some people don’t care being profiled and maybe would have no objections either to a development culminating in China’s social credit system built on data bases and face recognition that is planned nationwide for 2020 there. Everybody is free for his opinion about that.
Finally, I’m not sure if i.e. the forced removal of scientific results from the EPA site due to the denial of the climate change is a proof of the so-called free internet

Anyway, I don’t see a reason to block the access to the linked article posted above due to the transparency for data collection required. But I leave it like that before the comments get removed due to the political content and because it doesn't contribute anything to the original discussion. I just was surprised of the blockade of this public article and wondering why...

Wolfgang

22 posts |