Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:33 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Things are looking more bleak in the camera market. Not only Canon. Could it be phones are replacing entry level DSLR’s?

https://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-2018-news/october-2018-nikon-news/canon-joins-canarys-in-coal.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:35 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Sony is doing well

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:32 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Part of the problem is probably that people that buy entry level cameras don't replace them as often as pros who use their camera a lot.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by WJaekel on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:54 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Sony is doing well
Canon’s drop is due to people waiting to see what they do in the mirrorless front and therefore led to a restrained buying of new equipment in Q3. Has nothing to do with Sony. After the dust has settled, Q4 and even more 2019/20 will be more meaningful for a trend, I guess

Wolfgang

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:25 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another article from Thom:

https://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon- ... inues.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by john on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:42 am
john
Lifetime Member
Member #:00404
Its all because they've waited so long to replace the 7D2.  I would have boosted their sales by one a long time ago :)

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:55 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Canon's the biggest fish in the pond. They'll fine. Maybe they will even deliver the latest technology at some point. Lots of Canon users will pick up their new mirrorless even though it's not that compelling. They have a loyal base and their entry into mirrorless will likely stem the bleed to Sony. Sony has a lot to do in the lens lineup(not to mention ergonomics) to compete with CaNikon, mainly the long end, but for nature photogs, that's important.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:17 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Actually I think the only camera manufacturer that is growing in terms of unit sales is Fujifilm.

Sony will contract as a result of Nikon and Canon getting into the mirrorless game however their independent imaging sensor unit will likely continue to grow and carry the Sony conglomerate.

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:08 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Actually I think the only camera manufacturer that is growing in terms of unit sales is Fujifilm.

Sony will contract as a result of Nikon and Canon getting into the mirrorless game however their independent imaging sensor unit will likely continue to grow and carry the Sony conglomerate.

So you predict that some Sony users will move back to Canon and Nikon now that they have mirrorless options? 

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
There may be some but what will happen, and is already happening is that the bleeding from Nikon and Canon to Sony will pretty much stop. In a contracting industry, that means that Nikon and canon will contract less than they would have otherwise and Sony will contract more than they would have otherwise. Sony needs to get an a7/a9S out yesterday and probably an a9R with a scaled to 35mm version of the new 44x33 100 megapixel sensor which would be about 65 megapixels.

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:56 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
They also need to fill out the long end, one long lens at $16K CDN is not going to do it. IMO.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:40 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I really believe that the biggest challenge facing  manufacturers is convincing the younger crowd that dedicated cameras are far superior to phone cameras. Part of this facet of manufacturing is including more features/apps in their products. Younger people love the way technology can be used and are certainly not photo purists. They are not pixel peepers and don’t really care about super megapixel images. They are more interested in impressing their friends with their latest posts. If cameras in phones continue to move forward in quality and features, “real” cameras will continue to falter in the market. There is already a limited market for professional photographers because, since the advent of digital, there are far more quality images out there and many people don’t care as much about making money as gaining attention. Although my opinion will certainly be controversial, I really believe that most photographers are more ego driven than anything else. Very few people post images for critique, but more for the oohs and aaaws. Impressing photo editors is not that easy because, nowadays, they have a lot of images from many photographers to choose from. Just paying for professional equipment and then making a profit is not easy, much less travel expenses. Why would the younger generation want to spend that kind of money to try to break into a market that is too competitive to stand out from the crowd and still stay afloat financially? Even the most expensive phones don’t cost as much as a good quality camera body, sans lens.

Joe

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:48 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:I really believe that the biggest challenge facing  manufacturers is convincing the younger crowd that dedicated cameras are far superior to phone cameras. Part of this facet of manufacturing is including more features/apps in their products. Younger people love the way technology can be used and are certainly not photo purists. They are not pixel peepers and don’t really care about super megapixel images. They are more interested in impressing their friends with their latest posts. If cameras in phones continue to move forward in quality and features, “real” cameras will continue to falter in the market. There is already a limited market for professional photographers because, since the advent of digital, there are far more quality images out there and many people don’t care as much about making money as gaining attention. Although my opinion will certainly be controversial, I really believe that most photographers are more ego driven than anything else. Very few people post images for critique, but more for the oohs and aaaws. Impressing photo editors is not that easy because, nowadays, they have a lot of images from many photographers to choose from. Just paying for professional equipment and then making a profit is not easy, much less travel expenses. Why would the younger generation want to spend that kind of money to try to break into a market that is too competitive to stand out from the crowd and still stay afloat financially? Even the most expensive phones don’t cost as much as a good quality camera body, sans lens.

Joe

Certainly true. I'd like to add that for the vast majority of people, a DSLR/mirrorless is simply not needed. People aren't into photo albums or printing much so beyond the typical web and phone resolutions, what do they need a DSLR for anyway? Phones broke into the "good enough" image quality a while ago.
Phones filled a niche where people wanted a camera that was always with them, easy and fun to work on images, and simple to share. Look at the vast array of apps and how easy, and powerful they are. It takes a couple of minutes to be proficient with most phone apps compared to desktop programs like photoshop. 
Compare that to the clunky workflow with a DSLR and how many steps have to take place before you can send them anywhere, not to mention the overall bulk and hassle of carrying it with you, it's no wonder the low end of DSLR sales are crashing. A perfect example of this happened the other day when I was chasing down a rare bird. I got a few nice images and I used my phone to photograph the image on the back of the camera and sent them to my wife to show her I'd found the bird. 
Couple that with camera manufacturers that seem to do what they want(seriously how many years must go by before every lens with a tripod collar comes with a built-in Arca swiss compatible foot?) versus what their customers want, and I can't see any recovery happening. 

13 posts |