« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Jeff Colburn on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:09 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I just posted part 5 of a 5 part series about the War On Photographers at my blog, www.TheCreativesCorner.com

This final part talks about protecting your copyright and how to have a successful photography career using creativity and your imagination.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

Last edited by Jeff Colburn on Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:41 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I just posted part 2 of a 5 part series about the War On Photographers at my blog, www.TheCreativesCorner.com

Part 2 starts my discussion on digitization and how it has impacted photography.

Check out this series of fun facts, insights and helpful information.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:49 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I just posted part 3 of a 5 part series about the War On Photographers at my blog, www.TheCreativesCorner.com

Part 3 covers how digitization has had a negative impact of four industries, including photography.

Check out this series of fun facts, insights and helpful information.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:46 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Good read. Only part I disagree with is:

“...if Creatives aren’t paid, they will stop creating.”

Creatives, by their nature, will always find a way to create. Getting paid is another story, but that’s why so many are called “starving artists.” I seldom sell anything anymore because I spend more time marketing than it’s worth. It wasn’t like that before. Competition is fierce and the politics of who you know have come into play in my markets. Workshops are not what I want to do, either. I just continue to create because it’s what I need to be doing by my nature. I love being outdoors and capturing what I see. Nowadays, I find myself using a phone for photography because they do a pretty decent job of capturing what I want, other than telephoto work. There is more challenge in using a phone’s camera than a SLR or interchangeable lens mirrorless. I like that challenge. Are those images marketable? Yes, but the challenge is more in taking an image within the limitations of our equipment. Many of us who call ourselves artists are not crazy about marketing our work. Neither is PP our strong suit. I only like using a computer if it is to transform a photo into another form of art(digital). I really believe that if you only do your art for financial reasons, the creativity and enjoyment are stifled. I’m sure many here would disagree, though!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:03 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Joe,

Thank you for commenting.

I see what you're saying. I agree that most creatives will continue to create in one way or another. But without an income to pay for new photo equipment, or sales to bolster their ego, they may give up on promotion and just do photography as a hobby. At that point, the chance of seeing their work drops considerably.

I also know a couple of photographers who have given up on photography completely. They now express themselves with painting and jewelry making. They felt that photography just wasn't worth the effort and expense.

Yes, if you only create photographs to make money, then you are focused on the money and not the art, or constantly improving your art. But in a creative medium with tools (camera bodies, lenses, computer, software, etc.) that cost thousands of dollars, earning money from your photography is almost required.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:23 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I just posted part 4 of a 5 part series about the War On Photographers at my blog, www.TheCreativesCorner.com

Part 4 covers how photographers are making a living, and some of the obstacles they have to overcome.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:39 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I just posted part 5 of a 5 part series about the War On Photographers at my blog, www.TheCreativesCorner.com

This final part talks about protecting your copyright and how to have a successful photography career using creativity and your imagination.

Have Fun,
Jeff

7 posts |