All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by SKnauf on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:46 am
SKnauf
Forum Contributor
Hi,
Has anyone recommendations on equipment needed to get some good shots of Komodo dragons in the wild?

I will use a Canon Eos 1DX MII and 1D7 MII and thought about my 100-400mm and 70-200mm lense, but I am f.e. not sure if a tripod and the 500mm lense make sense. It apears that when you find them, the dragons are pretty close.

I am about to leave for a short trip.

Thanks.
Sascha

Last edited by SKnauf on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by ricardo00 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:35 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
SKnauf wrote:Hi,
Has anyone recommendations on equipmenten need to get some good shots of Komodo dragons in the wild?

I will use a Canon Eos 1DX MII and 1D7 MII and thought about my 100-400mm and 70-200mm lense, but I am f.e. not sure if a tripod and the 500mm lense make sense. It apears that when you find them, the dragons are pretty close.

I am about to leave for a short trip.

Thanks.
Sascha
  Hi Sascha,
    At least when I went a couple years ago a 300mm lens (on a DX body) got me quite close! So your 100-400mm lens on a full frame should be fine.
Have fun,
Ricardo

by aholman1351 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:40 pm
aholman1351
Forum Contributor
I was just there in June and you do not need any lens beyond a 300mm unless you intend to also get photos of some of the interesting birds of that area including megapodes and cockatoos. With any luck, you should be able to get quite close. If you visit Komodo National Park (highly recommended for photo purposes), Akbar is an excellent guide if he is available.

Andy

by SKnauf on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:00 am
SKnauf
Forum Contributor
aholman1351 wrote:I was just there in June and you do not need any lens beyond a 300mm unless you intend to also get photos of some of the interesting birds of that area including megapodes and cockatoos.  With any luck, you should be able to get quite close.  If you visit Komodo National Park (highly recommended for photo purposes), Akbar is an excellent guide if he is available.

Andy

Thanks Andy and Ricardo,
That really helped me in planing the trip!

Best wishes
Sascha

4 posts |