Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by WDCarrier on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:52 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
David Bogener advised me some of you were asking of my status...thanks for the concern.  We were evacuated early, got away with our camping trailer and little else (can you believe I left all the photography gear?)  Our home did not burn but the fire was stopped 50 feet from our property.  Evacuation orders were lifted today but we had gone to the coast to get out of the smoke so won't get back to survey the effects until Tuesday.  We've heard the other homes in our neighborhood had lots of smoke damage but the homes did not burn.  We were lucky to have my son living 15 miles from us in the valley so were able to park the camper there and have a decent bed and shelter, much better than a lot of other folks.  However, we've had no internet, television or decent radio and only kept informed by GMail on our cell phone.
W. Dean Carrier
BTW: Raking our forests would not have made any difference.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by Mike in O on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:56 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Here I was ready to send a rake...good to see You are alright Dean. Cheers Mike

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:11 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Glad you’re doing OK, Dean! While looking for info about you’re status online, I came across several of your articles from the Chico paper. Great work and I’m am glad you are around to continue your good work there. A billion rakes would not help prevent fires like this, considering climate conditions. In the comments after your latest article, someone was inquiring about you. I sent you a PM just now with links to two inquiries about you. One even mentioned how you had warned twenty years ago about the danger of fires in CA because of armchair naturalists trying to influence public sentiment about forest management.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Robert on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:20 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Great to hear that you and your family are ok and that you had decent shelter to ride the fires out. Good luck with the cleanup and recovery.

by Carol Clarke on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:29 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Good that you and family came out safely, Dean.  Our best wishes for your recovery and moving forward from these horrific fires.  Our hearts go out to all those who lost their lives, or the lives of family and loved ones, not to mention everything they had, in these devastating conditions.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

5 posts |