« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:05 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This is for phoneographers. Apples’ new iPhone xs (and xs max) has an IR front camera with a global shutter, although I don’t know why the IR or what the details are on it, claims zero shutter lag and is touting their HDR treatment. Zero shutter lag is probably the big one. This article focuses on the camera:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/09/12/the-apple-iphone-xs-has-a-camera-that-does-1-trillion-operations-per-photo/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:50 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:This is for phoneographers. Apples’ new iPhone xs (and xs max) has an IR front camera with a global shutter, although I don’t know why the IR or what the details are on it, claims zero shutter lag and is touting their HDR treatment. Zero shutter lag is probably the big one. This article focuses on the camera:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/09/12/the-apple-iphone-xs-has-a-camera-that-does-1-trillion-operations-per-photo/

Joe
Sony is really starting to put out the global shutter with many of their sensors.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:16 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It’s strange that the first photography camera (non-security) to have a global shutter would be in a phone!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:02 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
SantaFeJoe wrote:It’s strange that the first photography camera (non-security) to have a global shutter would be in a phone!

Joe
Global shutter is WAY WAY WAY easier to implement on a small sensor than a large one.  Global shutter cell phone sized sensors have been on the market from sensor manufacturers for a couple of years.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:32 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
More on the camera here:

https://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-xs-camera/

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:38 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:It’s strange that the first photography camera (non-security) to have a global shutter would be in a phone!

Joe
Global shutter is WAY WAY WAY easier to implement on a small sensor than a large one.  Global shutter cell phone sized sensors have been on the market from sensor manufacturers for a couple of years.
But have they ever been implemented in a camera designed for photography?

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Sure, almost all CCD cameras starting way back.  In fact virtually all cameras before CMOS cameras were Global Shutter which is why the EOS 1D, for example, had a 1/12000 s fastest shutter speed.  Other than cell phones, there is no CMOS global shutter camera on the market that I am aware of yet.  I see 2020 as the year where we start seeing it in APS-C and maybe Full Frame.

On the video front, the Sony PMW-F55, Blackmagic Design Production Camera 4K, URSA 4K, and URSA Mini 4K, as well as the AJA CION, all use CMOS sensors with global shutter.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:31 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Other than cell phones, there is no CMOS global shutter camera on the market that I am aware of yet.
That’s exactly what I was suggesting.

Joe

8 posts |