Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by steve white on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:00 am
steve white
Forum Contributor
I will be driving through New Mexico late October. Is Bosque any good that time of year? Worth stopping by for a couple of days? I could stop by on my return trip, but that is smack in the middle of the Festival. Thanks

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:53 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
That is not a bad time at all, in my experience. Many birds are already showing up and the temps are pleasant. I’ve been there at all times of year (about 350 trips total) since it is not that far. It is always a different experience every month. One thing to be aware of is that the mosquitoes can be heavy, especially in the evenings. You will likely find some birds that will not be there later in the season. I have not been there during the festival for a few years, but when I have been there at that time, I have not found the crowds to be excessive or shooting conditions to be bad because of the crowds. A bonus going there early, is that the colors of the cottonwoods are sometimes really nice. You can always call the visitor center for current conditions at (575)835-1828. Sometimes the current bird counts are posted online, but funding seems to have changed the frequency of counts.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:02 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Late October can be very good, lots of birds, no crowds...

by scorless on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:22 am
scorless
Forum Contributor
Yes, Festival does attract a lot of people but there are now a number of trips that you can take (at no or very low cost) that will take you to some areas on the refuge that the public does not get to go during the regular season. Those trips can be well worth the time and dealing with the crowds. You can usually just sign up for those trips when you get there. However, if you want registration for the various classes starts very soon.
Sandy Corless

by calvin1calvin on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:56 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
Festival sign up began today for Friends of the Bosque and opens tomorrow for everyone else. There are a lot of field trips and classes but they come with a cost. Check the Friends of the Bosque website and see if the brochure for the Festival of the Cranes has been posted. My wife and I are Friends and I received a hard copy of the offerings last month.

by calvin1calvin on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:57 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
Festival sign up began today for Friends of the Bosque and opens tomorrow for everyone else. There are a lot of field trips and classes but they come with a cost. Check the Friends of the Bosque website and see if the brochure for the Festival of the Cranes has been posted. My wife and I are Friends and I received a hard copy of the offerings last month.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:39 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
calvin1calvin wrote:Festival sign up began today for Friends of the Bosque and opens tomorrow for everyone else.  There are a lot of field trips and classes but they come with a cost.  Check the Friends of the Bosque website and see if the brochure for the Festival of the Cranes has been posted.  My wife and I are Friends and I received a hard copy of the offerings last month.
I don't know if you can find it here since I am not on Facebook, but there is some info there, from what I do see.

Brochure

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

7 posts |