Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Although I’m not certain about last year, the current farming is done by refuge personnel and has been reduced from 1100 acres to 330 acres. I’m sure this will have an impact on conditions for the birds and photographers. One good thing is that they are still currently using conventional corn and not GMO’s.

http://www.friendsofbosquedelapache.org/uploads/FileLinks/8330e8ef1b204f4baa412be5d3556832/42107.proof2__1_.pdf

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by scorless on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:06 am
scorless
Forum Contributor
Last years farming was done this way also, by only refuge workers. In fact it was a couple of very young workers that stepped up and said "we can do this". They were quite successful.
Sandy Corless

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:50 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
scorless wrote:Last years farming was done this way also, by only refuge workers. In fact it was a couple of very young workers that stepped up and said "we can do this". They were quite successful.
What I can’t verify is whether the planted acreage was 330 acres last year as well. Even after the contract farmers took their share, with 1100 acres there was still more left for the birds, not to mention the seed left behind after harvesting the crops.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by calvin1calvin on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:33 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
I received a copy of the Festival of Cranes '18 brochure and this is discussed. They did not say whether the planted acreage was the same as last year. Refuge is saying they are doing a better job for the wildlife. Have to see how the year unfolds with the cranes, ducks and geese.

by scorless on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:06 am
scorless
Forum Contributor
It is my understanding there is less acreage planted to corn this year but more to some of the grains that were so popular with the birds. Last year the contract farmers did not get all of their share because they did not meet their corn tonnage part of their contract. The refuge finally started enforcing that part of their contracts, now the refuge will not be using contract farming and at least last year proved that they could grown crops very successful with out them. Based on what I have been told the key is having enough food for the birds and that it does not all have to be corn. The corn is very important to provide the necessary carbs to help keep the birds warm and health but the grains and wet lands provide much needed food as well.

For those of you that did go to the refuge last year you might have observed how different the behavior was. On numerous days late in the season the birds would be found laying in the fields and resting. This has not happened in the recent past. Several felt it was because they had plenty eat, were full and health, and had food in several places around the refuge. This was considered very positive by the biologists.

It will most likely change what we as photographers have grown to love about BDA but I am sure we can come up with plenty of good shots from such a rich environment that is being managed to make sure the birds are well taken care or.
Sandy Corless

scorless
Forum Contributor
It is my understanding there is less acreage planted to corn this year but more to some of the grains that were so popular with the birds. Last year the contract farmers did not get all of their share because they did not meet their corn tonnage part of their contract. The refuge finally started enforcing that part of their contracts, now the refuge will not be using contract farming and at least last year proved that they could grown crops very successful with out them. Based on what I have been told the key is having enough food for the birds and that it does not all have to be corn. The corn is very important to provide the necessary carbs to help keep the birds warm and health but the grains and wet lands provide much needed food as well.

For those of you that did go to the refuge last year you might have observed how different the behavior was. On numerous days late in the season the birds would be found laying in the fields and resting. This has not happened in the recent past. Several felt it was because they had plenty eat, were full and health, and had food in several places around the refuge. This was considered very positive by the biologists.

It will most likely change what we as photographers have grown to love about BDA but I am sure we can come up with plenty of good shots from such a rich environment that is being managed to make sure the birds are well taken care or.
Sandy Corless

scorless
Forum Contributor

Sandy Corless

7 posts |