Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by ricardo00 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:25 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
  This is last minute (leaving in a week for Alaska) and looks like I will have a day in Haines to do stuff.  Just wondered if anyone knew a good guide there or had advice on photographing the brown bears catching salmon on the Chilkoot River.  I know it can be quite crazy there with people, so any suggestions on how to avoid the circus are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ricardo

by jim_mcd on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:46 pm
jim_mcd
Forum Contributor
Check Tom Ganner (https://timenspace.net). We were on a tour (short excursion from the cruise ship) he led and we found him to be enjoyably low-key and knowledgable.  

by ricardo00 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:33 am
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Thanks Jim!

PS.  How was the brown bear photography?

by jim_mcd on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:04 pm
jim_mcd
Forum Contributor
Only one bear that day near Haines but great shooting for eagles. 

We recently had the phenomenal opportunity to spend 3 days at the Brooks Camp in Katmai National Park during the peak salmon run -- at one point a ranger counted over 300 salmon a minute and we counted over 15 bears within sight of the platform by the falls. Unreal. Will try to upload a shot here but still learning this site.

by ricardo00 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:46 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Just got back from Haines and thought I would provide a follow up.  The Chilkoot river provides a nice opportunity to get a view of brown bears and eagles fishing for salmon near the weir that has been set up to count the salmon going upstream.  There can be many people there (I counted more than a 100 one day) but they do a great job of directing the people and car traffic flow going and away from the bears.  One time a mama grizzly and her cubs walked within a few feet of me (too close to photograph with my 300mm lens so had to use my pocket camera):

5 posts |