Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:42 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Although I hesitate to call them photographers, this farm was overwhelmed by picture seekers to the point they shut down photography. The workers were even being threatened by some who refused to leave.

Canadian Sunflower Farm

More

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by delong1301 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:43 am
delong1301
Forum Contributor
Not surprised...this is starting to happen a lot. When I was shooting in the Palouse area we noticed the same thing.....many locals are simply tired of too many rude photographers.

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I think that as a group, photographers need to start putting a much greater emphasis on ethics both in their actions and in their discussions.  I've watched photographers go off trail to photograph flowers and trample everything in between to create a bare path even after they have been told specifically not to do it by authorities such as the National Park Service. We have too many people who feel; the photograph is not everything but the only thing that matters. In spite of what you may think, the world will not be better off if you get that picture.  For those of you in competition, whether you have 10 ribbons or 11 sitting in a drawer will make no difference to your ego or stature among your friends.  If we don't start policing ourselves, we are going to find photographers banned all together because of the actions of a few.

Last edited by Wildflower-nut on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by dissent on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:56 am
dissent
Forum Contributor
I think "picture seekers" is a quite accurate way to describe them.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:57 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another article on the subject:

Sunflower Farm

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Andrew_5488 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:26 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:I think that as a group, photographers need to start putting a much greater emphasis on ethics both in their actions and in their discussions.  I've watched photographers go off trail to photograph flowers and trample everything in between to create a bare path even after they have been told specifically not to do it.  We have too many people who feel; the photograph is not everything but the only thing that matters. In spite of what you may think, the world will not be better off if you get that picture.  If we doin't start policing ourselves, we are going to find photographers banned all together because of the actions of a few.
Absolutely. I see it all the time with "real" photographers at National Wildlife Refugees. It usually ends with part of trails being closed for weeks because some schmucks couldn't behave properly.

6 posts |