« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:22 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
A black bear charges at a tourist taking a photo of it. I have heard stories that if you run, it will trigger the bear's instinct to chase.  This woman did a little shuffle and maybe that saved her.  I don't know.  If she had panicked and ran or someone had yelled 'run!', the bear would have been right on her.  Not sure what she was thinking but seemed like she was still focused on her camera/cell phone when the bear came after her. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/black-bear-charges-at-woman-in-alberta-1.4024595

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

by OntPhoto on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:39 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Great article on how to survive a bear encounter.  What works better, gun or bear spray?  Video: Surviving a bear attack

Article: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/canada/how-to-protect-yourself-from-all-the-bears/wcm/34a89d1f-3616-43a4-bb5b-d5d8060a85f9?video_autoplay=true

Last edited by OntPhoto on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Robert on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 am
Robert
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:Great article on how to survive a bear encounter.  What works better, gun or bear spray?  Surviving a bear encounter 
Good article, and very funny video presentation (...if a bear does approach you, "you're probably going to crap your pants"). 

by OntPhoto on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:26 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Robert wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:Great article on how to survive a bear encounter.  What works better, gun or bear spray?  Surviving a bear encounter 
Good article, and very funny video presentation (...if a bear does approach you, "you're probably going to crap your pants"). 
That video was really done well.  Humour seems to work well in getting the message across. 

by DOglesby on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:13 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Don't understand why people think it's smart to get so close to bears.  Just plain stupid.  
About 10 years ago a black bear charged at me.  It stopped abruptly after about 25 yards and then moved on.  I was oblivious to him until I heard a branch snap behind me.  Practically crapped myself.  The urge to run is so powerful.  I just stepped slowly towards my vehicle...didn't help.  Only its eventual disinterest helped.
Cheers,
Doug

by OntPhoto on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:33 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
DOglesby wrote:Don't understand why people think it's smart to get so close to bears.  Just plain stupid.  
About 10 years ago a black bear charged at me.  It stopped abruptly after about 25 yards and then moved on.  I was oblivious to him until I heard a branch snap behind me.  Practically crapped myself.  The urge to run is so powerful.  I just stepped slowly towards my vehicle...didn't help.  Only its eventual disinterest helped.
I see this myself with large groups of people including young kids in close proximity to a black bear mom and her two cubs feeding in a field of blueberries.  People see this and go, well if they're standing so close, it must be OK.  They feel the situation is less dangerous and let their guard down.  Sort of like a "bandwagon" effect. 

A story in the Toronto Star makes a point that wildlife photography may have played a part in people becoming too cavalier around wildlife. "By making encounters with nature appear harmless and easy, the proliferation of wildlife photography may have led people to believe interactions with bears are less risky than they really are, Derocher said."

Link to article.
People are too cavalier around wildlife

6 posts |