« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by sdaconsulting on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:16 am
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
My daughter and I are going to Maine for about a week in mid-August for (mostly!) wildlife / bird photography. Unfortunately we won't be able to go to Machias Seal Island because those trips are all booked up for 2018.

We already have Biddeford Pool on the itinerary. Where else is a must-see location? We are particularly interested in moose, seals, puffins (if possible), arctic terns and other ocean bird species.
Matthew Cromer

by Ron Day on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:02 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Mark Picard of Maine is a member here. He should be able to help you with Moose. Visit : markpicard.com

by Karl Egressy on Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:22 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Don't feel sorry about missing Machias Seal Island.
We booked two outings, one was cancelled due to weather condition and the other was called off after 45 minutes of shooting.
We were crammed into a wooden blind with two other people.
One with a heavy British accent kicked my camera bag around with my spare camera/lens, pushed my wife away from the best viewing window and the light direction was terrible anyway.
Drove 2500 km round trip for this.
Worst nightmarish trip ever.

by sdaconsulting on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
Wow Karl. That sucks enormously!

Thanks Ron, I'll give Mark a ring and see if he is available for some guide time while we are up there.
Matthew Cromer

by michaeldespines on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:32 pm
michaeldespines
Forum Contributor
I lived in Vermont for a few years and each summer I would go to Maine to photograph moose.  I found a great guide that I used each year - Bryant Davis, his website is https://www.mainequestadventures.com/index.php

I would usually spend a few days with Bryant, sometimes driving the logging roads in search of moose (less success) and other times we would go out on his boat and explore the coves of Millinocket Lake (more success).  I would also spend a couple of days hanging out at Sandy Stream Pond in Baxter State Park.  I would arrive sunrise and stay till sunset.  It is a lovely place and lots of photo opportunities can present themselves (moose, assorted birdlife, weasels, etc.  I even saw a coyote there once).  

Here is what one of our boat trips looked like:
https://youtu.be/E02rNp0Vm50

And here is my best shot from Sandy Stream Pond:
https://www.despines.com/2014/05/31/spin-cycle/

Good luck!

michael

by flygirl on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:47 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
Well unlike Karl, the two times I was at Machias Seal Island, we had a great time.  Yes it is a bit cramped in the blinds, but I was with a small group so we were together in them.  So sometime when you can, I think it is worth a trip.  Might head inland more toward Greenville.

6 posts |