Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by DonMammoser on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:13 pm
DonMammoser
Forum Contributor
Iceland still engages in whaling and recently killed what appears to be an endangered Blue Whale - the largest animal that has ever lived.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44809115

Maybe photographers should stop spending tourist dollars on a country that engages in whaling?

by aolander on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:44 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
Yes, why spend your money in a country that does this? I brought that up to someone who leads workshops in Iceland awhile back and received a snide reply.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Realize the USA condones trophy hunting of critically endangered species, allows Ivory trade, recently removed protections from the endangered sea turtle and puts on sports hunts, including from aircraft of Grizzly Bears and Wolves, among other things....

I am in no way condoning the Blue Whale kill by a bad actor company (Hvalur) in Iceland, and am even more disgusted by the hundreds of whales Japan and the Faroe Islands kill every year. Do note that it is not legal under Icelandic law to kill a Blue Whale and this company is trying to spin a tale that this whale was a hybrid to get around this law.  However, there are some whale species that Iceland does still allow to be hunted.

I find it disgusting but also find what we allow in this country disgusting and am not ready to boycott my own country. 
BTW, almost all of my camera gear is made in Japan, the world's worst actor when it comes to whaling, should we boycott camera gear made in Japan or from Japanese companies?

My point is that you can pick any country on the map, especially our own, and find plenty of despicable things worth boycotting them over...

That said, everybody is free to make their own decisions on how and where to spend their money...

by Paul Fusco on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:27 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Realize the USA condones trophy hunting of critically endangered species, allows Ivory trade, recently removed protections from the endangered sea turtle and puts on sports hunts, including from aircraft of Grizzly Bears and Wolves, among other things....

I am in no way condoning the Blue Whale kill by a bad actor company (Hvalur) in Iceland, and am even more disgusted by the hundreds of whales Japan and the Faroe Islands kill every year. Do note that it is not legal under Icelandic law to kill a Blue Whale and this company is trying to spin a tale that this whale was a hybrid to get around this law.  However, there are some whale species that Iceland does still allow to be hunted.

I find it disgusting but also find what we allow in this country disgusting and am not ready to boycott my own country. 
BTW, almost all of my camera gear is made in Japan, the world's worst actor when it comes to whaling, should we boycott camera gear made in Japan or from Japanese companies?

My point is that you can pick any country on the map, especially our own, and find plenty of despicable things worth boycotting them over...

That said, everybody is free to make their own decisions on how and where to spend their money...
Excellent points, E.J.
Personally, I think targeted boycotts can make a difference. There are bad actors and policy makers everywhere these days. The question is are these people being held realistically accountable or does society give them a pass and the go ahead to continue?

Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by Mike in O on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:38 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Unless a targeted boycott is used "bloody Wilson" will be on the Scandinavian menu. I also will not buy from businesses that exhibit bad behavior in the US. It is the only way we as consumers can affect their bottom line.

5 posts |