« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 46 posts | 
by Greg Downing on Tue May 07, 2019 2:21 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Mike in O wrote:Greg, don't you have a computer data base which calculates the tax?... should be easy.
Sure we do yes, but it is still not that simple - it's not like it's one state and one number - some are way more complicated. California for example the first monthly return I filed as 9 pages long! That is because some states (CA is the worst) charge a different rate for every single different jurisdiction. So now we pay to have that one done automatically after accuracy checks on our end. The cost of paying for auto returns is $25/month per return - there are 26 states so the ones we do auto returns for add up to 100's a month (plus the base cost of the software and accuracy checks on our end etc). Other states we do ourselves because they are simpler but it is still a process and every tax return, regardless of the simplicity, takes time and money.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Mike in O on Tue May 07, 2019 2:35 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Did the Supreme Court include local taxes in its ruling...take Oregon where I live, no State sales taxes but may have local taxes...are you responsible for those?

by Greg Downing on Tue May 07, 2019 3:21 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
We are not as we don't have a physical nexus in Oregon - if we did I am not sure but in our tax software Oregon is not even listed since there is no state sales tax. I don't know how it works locally.

FWIW our situation had nothing to do with the latest court battles since we had physical nexus in these states with inventory. Economic nexus is what all the fuss is about of late - selling state to state but otherwise without a physical nexus. For example just in last couple of weeks CA signed into law some new terms for economic nexus and thresholds etc. - letting some lower volume sellers (under 500k/yr) to not be required to collect. That still does not apply to us as we already have physical nexus.
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by SantaFeJoe on Wed May 08, 2019 7:41 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Some of the B&H fine print:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/0 ... sales-tax/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by bradmangas on Thu May 09, 2019 2:44 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Taxes are inescapable, legally anyway. Where I am (Kansas) there is state, county, and city sales tax on every purchase. Some specific businesses even have an additional 1% tax on all purchases to pay for loans they were give for expansion. It's my understanding when I purchase something from an online business I will only be charged the additional state sales tax and not county or city. So that still keeps the cost lower than buying locally given the retail price is the same and I can get free shipping.

I can't complain too much about being charged some tax, at least at the moment. Over the last year my salary has increased, take home pay has increased. 401k and retirement funds have increased. Of course all this can change quickly, but for now the situation is acceptable.

by Greg Downing on Thu May 23, 2019 7:56 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
bradmangas wrote:Taxes are inescapable, legally anyway. Where I am (Kansas) there is state, county, and city sales tax on every purchase. Some specific businesses even have an additional 1% tax on all purchases to pay for loans they were give for expansion. It's my understanding when I purchase something from an online business I will only be charged the additional state sales tax and not county or city. So that still keeps the cost lower than buying locally given the retail price is the same and I can get free shipping.

I can't complain too much about being charged some tax, at least at the moment. Over the last year my salary has increased, take home pay has increased. 401k and retirement funds have increased. Of course all this can change quickly, but for now the situation is acceptable.
Any company with Nexus in your state (as we have) is required to collect both state and local taxes.
Greg Downing

46 posts |