Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Bruce Sherman on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
My wife and I will be in Farmington, NM for a couple of weeks in late July of this year. The four corners area and Monument Valley are not far away. Would appreciate any info on photographing in this area. Birds and landscapes are my main areas of interest.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Bruce Sherman
[url]http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman[/url]

by MND on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:33 am
MND
Forum Contributor
We visited Monument Valley on the 24th of May and had a marvelous time. We didn't stay for the Sunset tours as we had a long drive to return to Kanab. They do sound attractive though but I don't fancy the open vehicles they use on the tours. Most people were wearing face masks as protecting from the extremely fine dust. I had to blow the dust out of all the crevices in my camera's afterwards so be careful if changing lenses especially if a vehicle is approaching.

We also visited Horseshoe Bend just outside Page. This was well worth seeing, mid-morning is supposed to be the optimum time. This coincides however with the hordes of selfie takers seeing how close they can get to the edge of the 1,100ft drop off.

Have fun.

by Ed Cordes on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:37 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
There are several nice hikes to Anastasi ruins in the Cedar Mesa area just North of Monument Valley. "House On Fire", "Fallen Roof Ruins" and others. Check out "Photographing the Southwest" volume 1 book by Laurent Martres. While the hikes are pretty straight forward Martres sometimes makes it sound a bit easier to find the sites then they really are. I also always carry a hand held GPS so you will never have any issues finding your way back.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:11 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It will be very hot at that time, but this is a great area:

Bisti Badlands

Bisti Map with Coordinates

Nearby is Chaco Canyon. Definitely take a GPS with you. Mud could be bad if it happens to rain, but we are in an extreme drought at this time. Now is the opportunity to go there before fracking destroys these fragile formations.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Kerry on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
I definitely second the Bisti recommendation.

by Rocky Sharwell on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:49 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Shiprock can be good too.....
Rocky Sharwell

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
For birds, this link may help, if you can get it to come up. I haven’t been able to connect to it:

https://farmingtonnm.org/news-media/med ... ing-mecca/

Edit: It’s working on my phone now.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by WDCarrier on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:47 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Navajo Natl. Monument is very picturesque. Unfortunately that time of year makes the 17 mile round trip hike into the Keet Seel (the best Anasazi ruins I have ever been to ) unpleasant but Betatakin is cooler and has 2 morning guided tours (about 3 miles)
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by WDCarrier on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:48 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Navajo Natl. Monument is very picturesque. Unfortunately that time of year makes the 17 mile round trip hike into the Keet Seel (the best Anasazi ruins I have ever been to ) unpleasant but Betatakin is cooler and has 2 morning guided tours (about 3 miles)
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

9 posts |