All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Kari Post on Sun May 20, 2018 2:44 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
I am headed to Switzerland for vacation in August and have a wide open schedule. This isn't a photography trip, but I do plan on bringing my camera and taking photos.

We are flying in and out of Zurich but currently have nothing else set - we have not planned lodging, transportation, or our itinerary, and are open to traveling across the country or to neighboring countries. What are the must see places and must do things? Is there anything I should be aware of (other than that everything is super expensive)? We are pretty active so hoping to make it a mix of adventuring, exploring, and experiencing a different culture.

Any and all advice appreciated!
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

by Mike in O on Sun May 20, 2018 7:04 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
A couple of my favorite places (from a long time ago) is the hotel at the foot of the Rhone glacier. Another is a chapel on a mountain top in the Lake Como region. It is quite a climb to the mountain top but the chapel built in 400AD is covered in pagan frescos (dragons and such). A memory of a couple art historian priests, so happy to see some company that we were filled with wine for the walk down in the dark.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 20, 2018 9:15 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Some ideas in the Interlaken area:
http://www.ejphoto.com/switzerland_page.htm

by pdschu on Sun May 20, 2018 10:47 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
I highly recommend visiting Grindewald. A beautiful village a short distance south of Interlaken. Much cooler than Interlaken at the foot of the Eiger and the gateway to the Jungfrau. We had the good fortune to be there on August 1st which is the Swiss Independence Day. Lots of fireworks and celebration.  There is hiking, waterfalls, snow covered mountains, cable cars, and a cog railway up to the Jungfrau. The scenery is breathtaking and the hotels are great. 
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by mikeojohnson on Mon May 21, 2018 7:49 am
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
We were there last July. Took the train everywhere. Very beautiful place and very expensive.
My gallery is here if you are interested: http://www.mojphoto.com/f921806981

It was a vacation, but with some photos.

Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by Andrew_5488 on Mon May 21, 2018 9:17 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
It all depends on time you have,transportation and what you want to do.
If you're into hiking I can recommend few areas.
1. Interlaken- Lauterbrunnen from where you take rail to "top of the world"- Jungfraujoch.
You can easily hike Monch. If your form is better Jungfrau is fairly easy too if you're not afraid of crevasse.
Nice waterfall near Lautenbrunnen.
2. Zermatt- to see Matterhorn. You can take tram to Klein Matterhorn from where you can hike Breithorn.
You you used to be able to ski there in summer;don't know if it's still possible.
3. Chamonix in France- to see Mont Blanc and take tram to Aiquille du Midi.Hiking Mont Blanc is possible
but requires multiple days if weather is not good and then there's ton of people trying to get there.
4. Saas Fee- nice old buildings,nice view of the glacier.

In all those places camping is possible if money is the issue.
In Chamonix you can rent your hiking/mountaineering equipment. Don't know about other places but I assume
it should be possible too. 

If not into hiking, just rent car,buy a map and drive around. It's very nice everywhere.

by Kari Post on Mon May 21, 2018 9:26 am
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Thank you all so much. Keep the suggestions coming!

We are definitely up for hiking, and we wouldn't mind squeezing in biking or via ferrata as well. I have heard that petrol is really expensive and many recommend taking public transit, which is fine for us because its different than what we normally do so I think it will be a part of the experience. My one question is how easy is it to travel using public transit if you have luggage, and is it easy to find places to safely and securely store your extra belongings if you are doing outdoor trips and don't want to carry everything with you on your hike, bike ride, etc? I'd like to sample a bunch of different activities, but my one concern is where to store our extra stuff if we do. We have about nine days in country (and are willing to visit neighboring countries during that time as well), and I'd like to see a few different areas rather than spend all of our time in just one or two cities.

by Stephen Feingold on Mon May 21, 2018 5:31 pm
Stephen Feingold
Forum Contributor
If you are going to the top of 14,000 ft mountains be aware of acclimating to low oxygen level; and bring strong sunglasses. The views are breathtaking, especially when looking down into the valleys from swinging aerial trams.Try the schwartzewalder (black forest) cake.

Edit: just read your profile, you know about high mountains.

by Kari Post on Mon May 21, 2018 7:58 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Stephen Feingold wrote:If you are going to the top of 14,000 ft mountains be aware of acclimating to low oxygen level; and bring strong sunglasses. The views are breathtaking, especially when looking down into the valleys from swinging aerial trams.Try the schwartzewalder (black forest) cake.

Edit: just read your profile, you know about high mountains.
Still a good reminder. It's been a while and my partner doesn't have the same altitude experience. Much appreciated!

by Jens Peermann on Tue May 22, 2018 6:58 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
The best way to travel Switzerland - heck , Europe in general - is by train. No better way to enjoy the scenery to the next destination than through the window of a train's restaurant car. And Swiss trains take routes not available for other vehicles.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Andrew_5488 on Tue May 22, 2018 9:58 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Kari Post wrote:Thank you all so much. Keep the suggestions coming!

We are definitely up for hiking, and we wouldn't mind squeezing in biking or via ferrata as well. I have heard that petrol is really expensive and many recommend taking public transit, which is fine for us because its different than what we normally do so I think it will be a part of the experience. My one question is how easy is it to travel using public transit if you have luggage, and is it easy to find places to safely and securely store your extra belongings if you are doing outdoor trips and don't want to carry everything with you on your hike, bike ride, etc? I'd like to sample a bunch of different activities, but my one concern is where to store our extra stuff if we do. We have about nine days in country (and are willing to visit neighboring countries during that time as well), and I'd like to see a few different areas rather than spend all of our time in just one or two cities.
1. Don't know current prices but expect anything from $5-$7 a gallon.
2. I have experience with train only in Zermatt area and it's good and on time as expected
3. If you have 9 days you won't be able to do much hiking and seeing different places. I'd recommend 3 sites at most. Other wise decide hiking or seeing as many places as possible.
4. If camping you can usually store valuables with site owner ( at least in Chamonix and Ronda/Zermatt). If using private houses that shouldn't be a problem too. As far as luggage goes,if you have 1 big backpack you should be fine traveling by bus/train.
5. Having glacier glasses while on glacier goes without saying I hope.

by Kari Post on Wed May 23, 2018 6:21 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:3. If you have 9 days you won't be able to do much hiking and seeing different places. I'd recommend 3 sites at most. Other wise decide hiking or seeing as many places as possible.
The more I have chatted with folks it seems like staying in 2-3 towns may be the best option and using those as a base from which to explore. Thanks for the reality check!

12 posts |