« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Sun May 20, 2018 6:43 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I've received a different laptop with Win 10 with 8g of memory, The machine will not validate the serial number. I am a stand alone user so please don't tell me to use the cloud. I am lost. Photoshop will not answer the phone. I'm afraid if the unit isn't working by Sunday evening I might send it back.
Why does my original laptop run CS6 with only 2 GB of memory? It takes a huge amount of time to download todays cameras, but it does work.

Help
Larry

by aolander on Sun May 20, 2018 7:27 am
aolander
Forum Contributor
On how many machines do you have Photoshop installed? Perhaps you need to deactivate it on one of them if you already have it on two machines.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by Woodswalker on Sun May 20, 2018 10:58 am
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
This happened to me and it wasn't fun. Why all of a sudden this happens to standalone versions, I don't know but maybe a change in operating systems? Adobe will answer the phone. It required many calls to tech support and a lot of patience. In the end, the tech said I might have been using the wrong activation code or possibly entering it incorrectly so these are things I would try first. Go back through emails from Adobe and make sure you have the latest and correct activation code. It's possible that it's activated on one too many computers and as aolander says, it may require de-activating it from another computer.

by Larry Shuman on Sun May 20, 2018 11:24 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Woodswalker wrote:This happened to me and it wasn't fun. Why all of a sudden this happens to standalone versions, I don't know but maybe a change in operating systems? Adobe will answer the phone. It required many calls to tech support and a lot of patience. In the end, the tech said I might have been using the wrong activation code or possibly entering it incorrectly so these are things I would try first. Go back through emails from Adobe and make sure you have the latest and correct activation code. It's possible that it's activated on one too many computers and as aolander says, it may require de-activating it from another computer.
I have uninstalled CS6 from my older laptop. The new laptop still will not validate the serial number. I have checked and rechecked the serial number so I know it is correct. The few times I called Adobe with a photoshop question, they asked if I was on the cloud. When I said no they hung up on me. Is this the way Adobe is forcing us holdouts to commit to the cloud? QA friend of mine who works in IT tried 
for 3 hours to get it to work and we are right back at the beginning a day later.

I'm lost

Larry

by Craig Lipski on Sun May 20, 2018 11:40 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
You said you “uninstalled” ps from another computer - did you deactivate it first? You might be able to do so by logging in to your Adobeaccount - all of this sounds vaguely familiar, but I can’t remember details. Try searching here and the Googles, I’m sure the info is out there.

by Larry Shuman on Sun May 20, 2018 3:44 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Craig Lipski wrote:You said you “uninstalled” ps from another computer - did you deactivate it first?  You might be able to do so by logging in to your Adobeaccount - all of this sounds vaguely familiar, but I can’t remember details.  Try searching here and the Googles, I’m sure the info is out there.

I realize now  that I should have not uninstalled before I deactivated. I'm a photographer first and NOT a expert computer IT second. So I download Nikon NXi which will do both download a camera and also view the shots. This will work just right while on 4 and 5 days trips. I have photoshop on my big desktop that I can work on the photos when I return.
Thanks for all the help
Larry

by whitehead on Sun May 20, 2018 6:33 pm
whitehead
Forum Contributor
I had a similar issue a couple of months ago - my versions would not update. I contacted adobe through their "chat" option. They logged into my computer remotely, deleted a bunch of directories and then revalidated me - its was a very good experience and was all done in 30 minutes.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 20, 2018 9:17 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Simply reinstall it on the old machine if possible, then deactivate it, then uninstall it again. When you uninstall it does not deactivate it nor does it remove the activation files from that computer.  You will now be able to activate it on the new machine.

by Larry Shuman on Mon May 21, 2018 12:44 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Simply reinstall it on the old machine if possible, then deactivate it, then uninstall it again. When you uninstall it does not deactivate it nor does it remove the activation files from that computer.  You will now be able to activate it on the new machine.
I have just tried reloading CS6 onto my old laptop. I have a message now showing on the screen (We are unable to validate this serial number for Adobe Photoshop CS6, Please contact customer support).I've been thru this for 3 days, At this time the laptop is not connected to the internet, but I still get the same message when it is connected to the internet,
I should have deactivated it before uninstalling it 3 days ago. I am totally computer knowledgeable so I didn't know I should deactivate first.Phone calls to Adobe is fruitless. However I have load Nikon NXi which will allow me to view shots when I use the new laptop  twice a year.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 21, 2018 8:02 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I doubt that Adobe would help you with CS6 anyway. They are absolutely militant about forcing you into CC. You might be able to go onto Adobe.com, login to your account, assuming you have one, and be able to deactivate it there.

by Mike Danzenbaker on Wed May 23, 2018 8:04 pm
Mike Danzenbaker
Lifetime Member
Member #:00559
I'm also a non-cloud user of PS CS6, and a year or so ago got a new travel laptop running W10. After installing, I tried to activate PS and found that their procedure had changed for validating "legacy" (non-CC) versions of PS. The original activation code was no longer any good, and I had to go through some procedure to obtain a new one that I'd be able to use for this activation and any subsequent ones. I don't remember the details and can't find any emails on the subject, but I was able to do this online (no phone calls), and didn't have to de-activate any of my existing installs of PS, of which I have at least 5.

But it sounds like things may be completely different now and I might have the same problem as you're having the next time I get a new system ...
"Animal instinct is more amazing than human ingenuity."

Mike
http://www.avesphoto.com

11 posts |