Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I sent in my refurb Nikon 200-500mm lens to Roberts in Indianapolis for warranty repair 2 weeks ago. I talked to them this morning and was told that it will take 4 to 6 weeks more to complete the repair. This is outrageous. I'll miss the whole Magee warbler migration, I'll have to use my 300mmF:4 AFS and the 1.4Eii instead. How and why does it take so dam long to change out a computer board. The problem was the aperture  would close down while shooting and would not open back up. Since it is a "G" lens there was nothing I could do so I sent it back in. Roberts does NOT have another lens to replace it with. Does it really take that long to fix something?

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Hi Larry, The mistake you made is sending it to somebody that then just has to send it on.  You are always best off sending direct to the Nikon repair center, that easily cuts a week or even two out of the process.  Once the manufacturer gets it, they are all slow unless you are part of their professional services.  Here's what happens once they get it.  they receive it, then when there is a slot, after all the NPS services, it gets evaluated.  Then the evaluation goes back to Robert's and then either they directly approve the repair, if you have already pre-authorized it with them, or more likely, they then need to contact you to authorize the repair since it could be expensive.  So once you do that, they then get back with Nikon who then puts it in the repair queue which again will be after any NPS services are done. Then it gets sent back to Roberts who in turn then has to send it to you.  A whole lot of wasted time can be avoided if you just send it to Nikon directly.  It's easy to open a service ticket online on the Nikon website which then gives you complete shipping instructions and even a shipping label.  No middle man, two less shipping legs, one less approval leg, and a whole lot less wasted time for a repair that could take minutes to a couple of hours.

by Woodswalker on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:08 pm
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
Bypassing a camera store and sending directly via courier to Nikon would be faster and speaking to a technician might give you the answer. It can take weeks if they need to order a part from Japan or I suppose if they're really busy your gear gets put into a queue. I'm an NPS member and it's more like two or three weeks depending on the problem. But they do offer loaners.

There's seldom a problem one cannot fix by throwing money at it! Maybe check out a rental place. The first one I checked rents a 200-500 at $78 for 7 days.

by Larry Shuman on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I do belong to NPS. However the lens was under warranty therefore no cost  to me. That might be a really good idea renting. I'll check that out. I'll contact NPS on May 1 and get the 180-400mm lens for 2 weeks.
Thanks
Larry

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Even more reason to do it direct to Nikon.  You simply go on the NPS site and initiate the repair.  The only reason you should ever go anywhere else is if it is a lens or camera no longer repaired by Nikon or gray market.  That's what NPS is for, more than anything, fast repairs at a 15% discount.

by photoman4343 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:01 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
My 70-200mm f 2.8 VR II lens is at Nikon for repair right now. I am not in NPS. I sent it to Nikon just as EJ described above. Within a week of sending, I got an email from Nikon telling me what they thought the problem and fix was along with a repair estimate that I had to approve. Using the Nikon website made the whole process a lot easier. The email did not give me an estimate of how long it might take probably because the tech's fix might not be the only thing needed.
Joe Smith

by calvin1calvin on Wed May 23, 2018 3:19 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
My 8 yr old 28-300 was sent to Nikon California for a repair estimate and within three days of receiving the lens I was provided a repair estimate for approval.  The cost of the repair was 1/2 the replacement cost of a new lens.  I instructed Nikon not to repair, am waiting on the return of the lens.  The whole process was initiated online and was quick and easy.  All I had to do was find a shipping box, place the label and Nikon work order form in the box and ship.  It was easy.

7 posts |