Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by I. Bork on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:20 pm
I. Bork
Forum Contributor
Just wanted to share recent experience when flying from India (Bangalore). If you have any kind of tools in your photo bag, like small allens, they might be taken away at the security check. I just lost six or so, and while the financial loss is small, it is an annoyance to figure out again what sizes I need.
So next time, I'll put them into my checked luggage. Btw, I carried them through many security checks in Asia or Europe before.
I. Bork, Photographic Accents
(site launched Feb. 2018; please leave a comment, if you like)

by Hoppy on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:48 am
Hoppy
Forum Contributor
This is the case in Australia as well. It has happened to me. I believe it would be the case almost everywhere and you were just lucky on previous occasions.
A SLR always has the wrong lens attached

http://www.romarimages.com
[url]http://500px.com/ROMARimages[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Allen wrenches have been getting confiscated in the US in carry-on luggage since 9/11/2001. If it is built into the L-bracket though like some of the newer L-brackets, it typically goes through.

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:38 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Interesting. Does security think you'll use wrenches to unscrew the aircraft's wings in flight?

I know three ways to kill a person with a wooden pencil. Are they confiscating those too?

It's sad, but whenever you go to an airport and have to remove your shoes, belt, things from your pockets, etc. it just reinforces that the terrorists have won.
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by EGrav on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:31 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Not sure what all the whining is about. Just put your hex wrenches in your checked bag. No big deal!

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
EGrav wrote:Not sure what all the whining is about. Just put your hex wrenches in your checked bag. No big deal!
For photo shoots under 5 days that does not require a large heavy tripod, I will often not use checked luggage at all ;)  My Sony a7R III and the three main lenses, 16-35, 24-70, and 100-400 easily fit in the handbaggage along with a Surface Pro, and my airline regulation roller carries my travel tripod and clothes...

by EGrav on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:00 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
:DE.J. Peiker wrote:
EGrav wrote:Not sure what all the whining is about. Just put your hex wrenches in your checked bag. No big deal!
For photo shoots under 5 days that does not require a large heavy tripod, I will often not use checked luggage at all ;)  My Sony a7R III and the three main lenses, 16-35, 24-70, and 100-400 easily fit in the handbaggage along with a Surface Pro, and my airline regulation roller carries my travel tripod and clothes...
:D
OK, EJ, you can whine.
:(

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:25 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wasn't whining at all, just stating that this has been the rule in the USA as well for the last 17 years and that packing them in the checked gear isn't always an option but that the L-brackets with built in ones can be on the onboard luggage, no whining, just trying to offer help.

by EGrav on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:51 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Wasn't whining at all, just stating that this has been the rule in the USA as well for the last 17 years and that packing them in the checked gear isn't always an option but that the L-brackets with built in ones can be on the onboard luggage, no whining, just trying to offer help.

I wasn’t serious,!!!!! Note the smiley faces!

by rajandesai on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:58 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
E.J. Peiker wrote:Allen wrenches have been getting confiscated in the US in carry-on luggage since 9/11/2001.  If it is built into the L-bracket though like some of the newer L-brackets, it typically goes through.
Interestingly never faced that issue in the US or EUROPE but went through exact same experience in India in Mumbai.
I had a lengthy discussion with the security including the security head about it. He showed me the the rule that says "tools of any kind are not allowed". Allen Key is a tool and they will stop it - no argument there.
I was given a choice to go back to the counter and check it in - which was more hassle so just threw my set away.

by rajandesai on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:01 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
Jeff Colburn wrote:It's sad, but whenever you go to an airport and have to remove your shoes, belt, things from your pockets, etc. it just reinforces that the terrorists have won.
I guess we were taking security a little too easy here in the USA.
In India, security at the airport was always very strict so was in many other countries.

I love my TSA Pre though...

by EGrav on Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:46 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
I have had my Hex keys (Allen Wrenches) confiscated in the US and Canada several times. Once in Canada, it was measured and “less than 7”, so I was allowed to keep it. They just go in my checked bag now.

by krishnan on Sat May 05, 2018 10:30 pm
krishnan
Forum Contributor
rajandesai wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Allen wrenches have been getting confiscated in the US in carry-on luggage since 9/11/2001.  If it is built into the L-bracket though like some of the newer L-brackets, it typically goes through.
Interestingly never faced that issue in the US or EUROPE but went through exact same experience in India in Mumbai.
I had a lengthy discussion with the security including the security head about it. He showed me the the rule that says "tools of any kind are not allowed". Allen Key is a tool and they will stop it - no argument there.
I was given a choice to go back to the counter and check it in - which was more hassle so just threw my set away.

I checked too. Seem the allen keys can be used to remove some panels inside the aircraft. Hence the security restriction.
---Krishnan
http://www.krishphoto.com

by Wildflower-nut on Sun May 06, 2018 10:13 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
EGrav wrote:I have had my Hex keys (Allen Wrenches) confiscated in the US and Canada several times. Once in Canada, it was measured and “less than 7”, so I was allowed to keep it. They just go in my checked bag now.

I had a bunch of bits for a magnetic screw driver confiscated in US several years ago.  The TSA guys apparently have no flexibility about tools. My guess is for the rule makers it is easier to ban all tools than a big list of types and sizes. I think if they find the allen in your L bracket they will confiscate it but they just have not found it yet.

14 posts |