« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:37 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I've my permit and camp site reserved.  Any suggestions for hikes and side trips?  Figuring 2days for the 100 miles.

by Ron Niebrugge on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm
Ron Niebrugge
Lifetime Member
Member #:00440
That is a great trip! You are figuring two days as in one night? I know when I did it, I broke the trip over a couple of nights and thought that was a bit short. One night might not leave you with much opportunity to hike except around camp.

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:54 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I'll see if I can get another night. Pretty full up for march already

by walkinman on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:51 am
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Wildflower-nut wrote:I've my permit and camp site reserved.  Any suggestions for hikes and side trips?  Figuring 2days for the 100 miles.
I've never been there .. but 2 days for 100 miles??? That's moving pretty fast.
[i]"Let he without stones cast the first sin"[/i]

[url=http://www.skolaiimages.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://www.expeditionsalaska.com][b]Expeditions Alaska[/b] - Alaska Backpacking Trips and Photo Tours[/url]

by Darren K on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:51 pm
Darren K
Forum Contributor
walkinman wrote:2 days for 100 miles??? That's moving pretty fast.
2 MPH is considered fast now? Who knew?! :D

I guess I'll chime in with some suggestions in the event you haven't thought about some of these yet. There aren't many spurs off of White Rim Road, so you've probably already come across them by now. I haven't done any hiking off of White Rim, and I think most of the trails are to gain access up to the top of the Island in the Sky plateau. I think there's a short slot canyon hike on the western side somewhere as I recall. I've not done it, so I don't know how technical it is.

The first time I drove that road was with a friend who lived in Ridgway, CO, about 2.5 hours from Moab. We did it as a day trip from there. Most of my other trips were a one-nighter, and my most recent was two nights.

I'm not sure how you're planning to enter or exit, but if you're planning to go by way of Shafer Canyon, I would certainly recommend driving the 2.5 miles along Potash Road to the gooseneck below Deadhorse Point.

Then there's the very short Gooseneck Overlook spur a bit further to the south, which I'm sure you'd do anyway.

The Lathrop Canyon spur is a great drive through a canyon and down to the river.

The White Crack spur is probably my favorite area along the route. Be sure to walk out to the furthest rock peninsula.

I don't personally find the Taylor Canyon spur to Moses and Zeus a must-drive, but as long as you have the time, by all means, drive in there.

Marlboro Point, near the Deadhorse Point turnoff off highway 313 is a great sunrise option that would be a great way to start the first morning of your trip. It would work for sunset, but sunrise is best.

Other side trip suggestions? Most definitely the Needles and the Maze! I know that's not what you meant, but those areas are unbelievable as well. Maybe you've already been. Camping permits are definitely the worst thing about this area.

Have a great trip! It's tough to beat Canyonlands.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:42 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Darren K wrote:
walkinman wrote:2 days for 100 miles??? That's moving pretty fast.
2 MPH is considered fast now? Who knew?! :D

I guess I'll chime in with some suggestions in the event you haven't thought about some of these yet. There aren't many spurs off of White Rim Road, so you've probably already come across them by now. I haven't done any hiking off of White Rim, and I think most of the trails are to gain access up to the top of the Island in the Sky plateau. I think there's a short slot canyon hike on the western side somewhere as I recall. I've not done it, so I don't know how technical it is.

The first time I drove that road was with a friend who lived in Ridgway, CO, about 2.5 hours from Moab. We did it as a day trip from there. Most of my other trips were a one-nighter, and my most recent was two nights.

I'm not sure how you're planning to enter or exit, but if you're planning to go by way of Shafer Canyon, I would certainly recommend driving the 2.5 miles along Potash Road to the gooseneck below Deadhorse Point.

Then there's the very short Gooseneck Overlook spur a bit further to the south, which I'm sure you'd do anyway.

The Lathrop Canyon spur is a great drive through a canyon and down to the river.

The White Crack spur is probably my favorite area along the route. Be sure to walk out to the furthest rock peninsula.

I don't personally find the Taylor Canyon spur to Moses and Zeus a must-drive, but as long as you have the time, by all means, drive in there.

Marlboro Point, near the Deadhorse Point turnoff off highway 313 is a great sunrise option that would be a great way to start the first morning of your trip. It would work for sunset, but sunrise is best.

Other side trip suggestions? Most definitely the Needles and the Maze! I know that's not what you meant, but those areas are unbelievable as well. Maybe you've already been. Camping permits are definitely the worst thing about this area.

Have a great trip! It's tough to beat Canyonlands.
many thanks for the suggestions.  I was only able to get the one night.  Right now I'm thinking about going in on potash.  that makes the first day the shorter section and I'll see how it goes.  I'm driving a 4wd f-350 with a pop up truck camper (hallmark).  I'm a little concerned about ht clearance on the later part of the trail.  See how it goes.  I've driven shafer canyon back to moab on the potash road in a TJ jeep so I'm a little familiar with what I'm facing.  I'll look into the needles and the maze!

6 posts |