Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 28 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Mon May 14, 2018 5:13 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I just received a message from a friend who was at White Pocket a few days ago. He said that he booked a Tour with the Kanab Tour Company to get there and that it would have been impossible to use his Nissan Rouge for that trip.

For me that means that plan B goes into effect.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by MND on Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Jens Peermann wrote:I just received a message from a friend who was at White Pocket a few days ago. He said that he booked a Tour with the Kanab Tour Company to get there and that it would have been impossible to use his Nissan Rouge for that trip.

Thanks for the info Jens. I’ve rented a lifted Jeep Cherokee for the day so should be OK (I hope). I used to own a Jeep Wrangler and used to go off-roading in it on rocks not sand I might add. I believe there’s 2 ways in and out. The shorter, harder way (as in deeper sand) which is apparently uphill on the way in and the longer slightly easier way. 

Our trip is planned for May 23rd, here’s hoping for some rain between now and then to firm up the sand. 

Cheers

by Jens Peermann on Mon May 14, 2018 6:48 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
MND wrote:
Jens Peermann wrote:I just received a message from a friend who was at White Pocket a few days ago. He said that he booked a Tour with the Kanab Tour Company to get there and that it would have been impossible to use his Nissan Rouge for that trip.

Thanks for the info Jens. I’ve rented a lifted Jeep Cherokee for the day so should be OK (I hope). I used to own a Jeep Wrangler and used to go off-roading in it on rocks not sand I might add. I believe there’s 2 ways in and out. The shorter, harder way (as in deeper sand) which is apparently uphill on the way in and the longer slightly easier way. 

Our trip is planned for May 23rd, here’s hoping for some rain between now and then to firm up the sand. 

Cheers
I'll try again in late September/early October.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by MND on Sun May 27, 2018 8:09 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Returned last night from a trip out to Death Valley, Zion, Bryce, Monument Valley and White Pocket.

To get to White Pocket we rented a lifted Jeep Cherokee which made it out to the site and back without issue. There had been a few showers the previous day and that made it easier on the way in but by the time we came to leave the sun had burned off any moisture and it was much harder leaving. The sand was very deep in places with deep ruts and no way to avoid driving in them due to trees and sagebrush. Its a marvelous experience, it must be awesome spending an overnight trip which we couldn't manage this trip.

If anybody wants any more info please feel free to PM me.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed May 30, 2018 8:59 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I'm thinking of driving in there with my popup camper on a 1 ton 4wd truck. what do you think having driven the road.

by MND on Wed May 30, 2018 7:22 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:I'm thinking of driving in there with my popup camper on a 1 ton 4wd truck.  what do you think having driven the road.
I think you should be fine with that, there were several 4WD trucks (F150, F250 types in the car park). Take along an air compressor in case you have to drop your tire pressure. I bet the night sky is awesome from White Pocket if you decide to spend the night.

by Wildflower-nut on Thu May 31, 2018 4:58 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
MND wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:I'm thinking of driving in there with my popup camper on a 1 ton 4wd truck.  what do you think having driven the road.
I think you should be fine with that, there were several 4WD trucks (F150, F250 types in the car park). Take along an air compressor in case you have to drop your tire pressure. I bet the night sky is awesome from White Pocket if you decide to spend the night.

Thanks for your input.  I've got a compressor.

by MND on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:57 am
MND
Forum Contributor
After going through my photographs from our SW trip I finally got to Wednesday and our trip out to White Pocket.

White Pocket

28 posts |