Moderators: Greg Downing, E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC - 5 hours

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by MND on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:25 am
MND
Forum Contributor
We are intending to visit White Pocket in the last week of May. I’ve rented a Hi Clearance 4WD Jeep Cherokee from Kanab for the day. Having owned Jeeps before I’m somewhat familiar with off-roading techniques. 

I’m getting conflicting information. Somebody has said that I need a permit to drive on private roads to get to White Pocket. I can not find this in any searches I’ve conducted. 

Any info from members will be appreciated. What can we expect in terms of weather, photographic conditions, time of day etc..

Thanks

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Permits are required for The Wave but not White Pocket:
https://www.myutahparks.com/things-to-do/the-wave-vs-white-pocket

by PV Hiker on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
Been to White Pocket 3 times and different routes and never have I heard of getting permits for crossing private property. But who knows things could change over the years since last visit. How would you even get such a permit. Just remember to close gates if you open them. The ranchers have cattle roaming the desert. Watch others that have stuck themselves in the sand. The Jeep you are renting make sure there is a shovel even better a air compressor so you can let some air out of the tires. Go over the details with the rental place. Enjoy your visit
Patrick

by MND on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:27 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
PV Hiker wrote:
Been to White Pocket 3 times and different routes and never have I heard of getting permits for crossing private property. But who knows things could change over the years since last visit.  How would you even get such a permit.  Just remember to close gates if you open them.  The ranchers have cattle roaming the desert. Watch others that have stuck themselves in the sand.  The Jeep you are renting make sure there is a shovel even better a air compressor so you can let some air out of the tires. Go over the details with the rental place. Enjoy your visit

Thanks Patrick, the guy that said I needed permits to cross private land was being fed a load of BS from tour companies I think.

I fully intend to go over tow straps, compressor, a board and other equipment well before I get there.

Cheers

Mike

4 posts |