Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by P.W.Post on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:06 pm
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
Has anyone had experience about how strict South African Airways is concerning carry-on weight. 
Their regulations restrict carry-on luggage to only 18 pounds. Less than half of the photo equipment that I usually carry.
Could be a real problem.

Peter

by Phil Shaw on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:47 am
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
Wear a photo vest with large pockets - just in case.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by ricardo00 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
P.W.Post wrote:Has anyone had experience about how strict South African Airways is concerning carry-on weight. 
Their regulations restrict carry-on luggage to only 18 pounds. Less than half of the photo equipment that I usually carry.
Could be a real problem.

Peter

Hi Peter,  Just curious, are you sure that the flight is operated by South African Airways?  Is this a long flight or a short flight?  We booked a flight through South African Airways from JNB to Tana, Madagascar.  It turned out that the flight was by SA Airlink (we had no idea, checked in with the SAA agents at the airport just like it was SAA) .  Not sure what relationship they have to SAA but it was the worst flight we had on our trip (much worse than Madagascar Air).  Somehow they managed to "lose" almost a dozen people's checked luggage (think they just never loaded it onto the plane although we checked it in a couple hours ahead in JNB and it was a non-stop flight).  No apologies and no help in getting the bags to us.  Unlike the US, they refused to deliver to people's hotels, you had to make an additional trip back to the airport during certain very limited times to get your luggage.  Plus on the plane they didn't have any customs registration forms leading to mass chaos at the arrival in Tana.  Their was also limited overhead space on the plane.
Ricardo

by P.W.Post on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:32 pm
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
Ricardo:

Sorry about your experience with Airlink. Our tickets specifically state that our flights are operated by South African Airlines and that we are booked on Airbus aircraft. As far as I can determine Airlink only uses smaller airplanes. I will call SAA and see what they say. But at this point there is nothing I can do about it,

Peter

4 posts |