All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 50 posts | 
by signgrap on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:41 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
E.J., Is this the photo you're referring too?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=275623 
Dick Ludwig

by MND on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:08 am
MND
Forum Contributor
That is a very nice setting for an IR image. Perhaps a few roosting Egrets would have garnered a few more comments.

Seriously though, I wonder if the image size limitations are too small for many in the landscape arena.

The bird images are absolutely great but as many have said how many Toucan/Bald Eagle etc shots can you comment on.

I rarely comment on gallery photographs because of lack of time. They’re all worthy of a comment and I feel it’s a slight to the ones I don’t have time comment on.

by Ed Cordes on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:57 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
While I photography landscape and birds, I find I am doing more birds lately. I think it is because they are always around and available. It is fun and the bit of action due to their constant movement is attractive. I am proud of my better landscape shots, but I just don't seem to have the time to go to good landscape locations at the right time of day. OK, poor excuse.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by signgrap on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:09 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
MND wrote:. . . .
Seriously though, I wonder if the image size limitations are too small for many in the landscape arena.
. . . . . 
I wonder the same thing. The incredible detail in high megapixel sensors these day can't be done justice to at the resolutions used on NSN. However once you display images on the internet at higher resolutions you become a target for image theft. As I understand it there is no way to make an internet site like NSN "theft proof". It's one of those "Damned if you do and Damned if you don't" situations. Yes you can keep honest people honest, by making it more difficult to copy an image. But you can't stop a knowledgeable and determined person bent on copying images for their personal gain. In addition there is a cost to higher resolution - increased band width and greater storage space. So I understand why Greg has been slow to increase the resolution of images displayed on NSN. It certainly fits the definition of "it's a catch 22".
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:20 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's 1200 pixels wide or 1024 pixels tall for members. That's actually not that small. Just click on the pictures and if they were posted at those limits, you can see quite a bit of detail in the images. The limit for non-members is smaller though and less conducive to seeing a ton of detail.

by signgrap on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:35 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:It's 1200 pixels wide or 1024 pixels tall for members.  That's actually not that small.  Just click on the pictures and if they were posted at those limits, you can see quite a bit of detail in the images.  The limit for non-members is smaller though and less conducive to seeing a ton of detail.
I certainly think that non-members should get a lower resolution image. 
Do non-members get a notice that members get to view a higher resolution each time they view an image?
Dick Ludwig

by Primus on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:14 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I confess I have rarely visited the gallery here, when I have done so, it has been difficult to go through the images without going back to the thumbnails and clicking on the next image, that makes it tedious. Maybe I am not doing it right.

I know it is possible to place an image in a thread or a post (in-line) but that seems to be rare, or perhaps frowned upon here. To me that would be a better option as more people would talk about it and there would be  greater response/participation. On another forum I visit there are separate threads for posting images in different categories or from different cameras and it is refreshing to just go through the thread and comment or not on the new stuff. I just find that more intuitive.

In any case, I come here not so much for the images but for the wisdom and learning I receive from those who have greater expertise than me. I don't know if that is enough to sustain a forum.

Finally, I agree with EJ that NSN seems to be heavy in favor of bird photography, active members (to me at least) appear to be mostly birders (don't mean that in any negative connotation).

Pradeep

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I agree with many of the comments. I think social media has had an impact, but personally, I think the most significant contributor is the overall maturation of digital photography. I bet if you looked back to images from the galleries and pictures of the week from the early days of digital and compared them to the past few, you'd find an enormous improvement. What was once exceptional has become commonplace, and it's increasingly hard to post something that "wows" people.
When I first saw Alan Murphy's images, I was stunned; now, I'm less so because I'm used to seeing that level of quality imagery.
The same thing goes for flight photography. Whether it's due to the dissemination of knowledge from sites such as this, or better gear, good BIF images are pretty standard to see nowadays.

by DChan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:46 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
What has happened to Jeff Nadler's post, the one that came after Scott Fairbairn's ??

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:26 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I'm very glad to see this discussion and understand more how people are feeling about the site, and especially about posting to galleries and making comments. I've been a member since 2006, and a moderator for...I don't know how long. Here are a few observations/suggestions:

Have a look around at all the galleries-not just the ones where you tend to post your work. You might find something you'd enjoy and like to comment on, and it might even inspire you post something different.

If you want this site to remain vibrant, take courage and post something to the galleries. Ask for help. I think critical comments are sometimes lacking for fear of discouraging someone. Perhaps when you post something you could say, as some do, that evaluative comments are welcome.

I once was informed that mods "have to comment-it's their job". Perhaps there is the expectation that this is so, and that participants therefore don't need to add anything more. It is discouraging as mods to only see our own comments (I get tired of talking to myself!) -and many of us are branching out in all the galleries as well these days. We are all volunteers. Won't you join us please? We have had some delightful conversations, at times around a particular photo or subject within the galleries. There's no reason why there can't be dialogue and discussion (within reason) in the galleries as well as the discussion forums.

I am frankly surprised to read that so many people don't post to the galleries- it would help to know who you are in the discussions as a reference point if you did. Have you seen EJ's fantastic work? He is our guru, and not just because he can answer all your questions. There is so much to learn from seeing his work...and yours!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

50 posts |