Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 25 posts | 
by david fletcher on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:05 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Mark Picard wrote:For me, just getting out there is important, but my most important thing is sending subliminal attention to wildlife through my photography. When people respond with "That's a great shot", what that means to me is that they have seen the beauty in the animal and it has raised their conscience towards that species. Perhaps in the future they will support that animal in some way because my photograph has increased their attention to it. I probably didn't convey this well, but I hope you get my drift.  :D
PS.. BTW, that 850 jumped into my kit bag the other day Mark... :D :D  
Nothing to get excited about.   cropped by 50%.  played with today and shot HH with a 105 Micro after I'd done my calibration on the sigma I currently use.  Back focus button.  clicking on the image is good.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

Last edited by david fletcher on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by bradmangas on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:35 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I don’t feel there should be much difference with regard of wildlife or straight nature photography. The only truly main difference is with wildlife you are encroaching in another living things habitat intentionally. Yes nature and landscape does involve encroachment as well that should not be taken lightly.

For myself, photography has, over the years become much less about conclusive results and much more about experience. Most of my time out in pursuit of photography is a pursuit of discovery. Discovery of myself and of nature and the environment. When we place too much emphasis in the result, in the case “the photograph” something typically must give. The something many times is the true nature of why we do such things.

As with many if not most things in life, the result is not nearly important as the journey we have taken to get there. If one truly places emphasis on “the photograph” then I don’t believe they would spend much time in the endeavor of photography. There is much more to photography than the photograph. Most non-photographers have a hard time understanding that.

by jnadler on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Dhcarl wrote:
jnadler wrote:It varies, currently....acceptable sharpness.

I was just at a distant snowy owl andd took 400 images with best tripod technique with Canon 500mm i and 2x i. Not one of them met my minimal requirements of adequate sharpness. I can handle many weaknesses in post processing of exposure, composition, etc. but if subject is not sharp enough, sharpening does not remedy.
Jeff:  Have you been able to produce acceptable images to your liking with this combination in the past.  At the distance you were shooting it could be atmospheric conditions that area affecting the sharpness.  What was the ground between you and the owl like and what were the day conditions like.  hcarl
I have had some acceptable images with this setup but with birds a bit closer. My keeper rate should increase starting tomorrow when my 500mm ii and 2x iii arrive, so I have read.

by hcarl on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:10 pm
hcarl
Forum Contributor
jnadler wrote:
Dhcarl wrote:

I was just at a distant snowy owl andd took 400 images with best tripod technique with Canon 500mm i and 2x i. Not one of them met my minimal requirements of adequate sharpness. I can handle many weaknesses in post processing of exposure, composition, etc. but if subject is not sharp enough, sharpening does not remedy.
Jeff:  Have you been able to produce acceptable images to your liking with this combination in the past.  At the distance you were shooting it could be atmospheric conditions that area affecting the sharpness.  What was the ground between you and the owl like and what were the day conditions like.  hcarl
I have had some acceptable images with this setup but with birds a bit closer. My keeper rate should increase starting tomorrow when my 500mm ii and 2x iii arrive, so I have read.
Well Jeff, that is one way to hopefully increase the quality of your images.  Will be interesting to hear whether you find that much difference in the outcome if shooting under the same conditions.  hcarl

by david fletcher on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:15 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
hcarl wrote:
jnadler wrote:
Dhcarl wrote:

Well Jeff, that is one way to hopefully increase the quality of your images.  Will be interesting to hear whether you find that much difference in the outcome if shooting under the same conditions.  hcarl
Games within games.   Drifting from the original topic.   
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

25 posts |