« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by MND on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:10 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
I'm planning ahead for a trip out to Barnegat Lighthouse to photograph the sea duck late January or early February. Last year we went on February the 8th in the morning. I was wondering if there is a prime time of day and tide to get the best opportunity of photographing the duck.

Thanks

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
High tide, calm day would be ideal.  Morning or afternoon work as the jetty runs west to east so the sun is always behind you.

by MND on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:32 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J.

Hopefully it won't be too cold with an iced over jetty. It's a 3 hour drive for me so I want to make the most of a once a year trip.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It can be very treacherous, I do recommend having some light crampons with you just in case. Otherwise you could easily break a bone. I use the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra.

by stevenmajor on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:32 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
A helpful article to read ...”Photographing at the Barneget Jetty” ...here at NSN in the Travel section under Articles.

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:31 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
MND wrote:I'm planning ahead for a trip out to Barnegat Lighthouse to photograph the sea duck late January or early February. Last year we went on February the 8th in the morning. I was wondering if there is a prime time of day and tide to get the best opportunity of photographing the duck.

Thanks

In my opinion,calm water/no wind is the most important factor. As far as tide goes I didn't notice a 
lot of difference. Time-wise, morning is always best for any bird photography but here you can photograph all day pretty much.Later in a day more people will come to the tip and then more skittish ducks like Eiders and Scoters will swim out to the ocean (800mm won't help).
Harlequin ducks are preening on rocks usually on inlet side so morning light is better than afternoon. If they're on other side (not that often) then not much you can do. If you want to photograph other ducks (Eiders,Scoters,Long-tailed) you'll have to go to the tip and there most of ducks will be swimming in from south mostly going towards beach side. You can get some angle shots. If there's not too many people and they don't move much, Scoters and Eiders will swim near the tip so you can use even 300mm. Loons will be swimming along jetty on inlet side. You'll see some mergansers there too.

PS. I guess high tide is better when it comes to angle, however because of it you won't be able to take advantage of it because most likely you won't be able to get to the tip :-)
I never saw calm water during high tide over there.

by MND on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:32 am
MND
Forum Contributor
stevenmajor wrote:A helpful article to read ...”Photographing at the Barneget Jetty” ...here at NSN in the Travel section under Articles.
 I purchased this ebook last year before my first visit. It was indeed very helpful. I'm always open to new or additional advice.  :)

by MND on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:12 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:
MND wrote:I'm planning ahead for a trip out to Barnegat Lighthouse to photograph the sea duck late January or early February. Last year we went on February the 8th in the morning. I was wondering if there is a prime time of day and tide to get the best opportunity of photographing the duck.

Thanks

In my opinion,calm water/no wind is the most important factor. As far as tide goes I didn't notice a 
lot of difference. Time-wise, morning is always best for any bird photography but here you can photograph all day pretty much.Later in a day more people will come to the tip and then more skittish ducks like Eiders and Scoters will swim out to the ocean (800mm won't help).
Harlequin ducks are preening on rocks usually on inlet side so morning light is better than afternoon. If they're on other side (not that often) then not much you can do. If you want to photograph other ducks (Eiders,Scoters,Long-tailed) you'll have to go to the tip and there most of ducks will be swimming in from south mostly going towards beach side. You can get some angle shots. If there's not too many people and they don't move much, Scoters and Eiders will swim near the tip so you can use even 300mm. Loons will be swimming along jetty on inlet side. You'll see some mergansers there too.

PS. I guess high tide is better when it comes to angle, however because of it you won't be able to take advantage of it because most likely you won't be able to get to the tip :-)
I never saw calm water during high tide over there.
Thanks for the info Andrew.

I was there February 6th this year and during the few hours we were there the tide was between Low and Mid level. Does the tip get covered at high tide?

by MND on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:14 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It can be very treacherous, I do recommend having some light crampons with you just in case.  Otherwise you could easily break a bone.  I use the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra.

Thanks E.J but if it's that cold and icy I'm going to stay in bed. :lol:

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:57 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
MND wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:It can be very treacherous, I do recommend having some light crampons with you just in case.  Otherwise you could easily break a bone.  I use the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra.

Thanks E.J but if it's that cold and icy I'm going to stay in bed. :lol:
It only has to be about 27 degrees...  Ocean water freezes at around 28 degrees ;)

by Andrew_5488 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
MND wrote:

Thanks for the info Andrew.

I was there February 6th this year and during the few hours we were there the tide was between Low and Mid level. Does the tip get covered at high tide?
No, but wave action is strong with heavy splashes in the last 30 yards/m making boulders extremely slippery.
Tip is fine during high wave but if you have big heavy lens with tripod you don't want take any chances.
Just like with climbing,it's easy to go up but going down is a different story :)

11 posts |